Looking for VF Engineering failure stories - Page 3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 AM
42, The meaning of life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
So is it VF that is the problem, or is it the Vortec blowers that are the issue, or they the same entity?

Riding in style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Vortech blowers are the issue. VF just chooses to use Vortech units, whereas others have learned and moved on to other providers of blowers.

#33 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
VF should still stand behind their product of they chose to include Vortech blowers in their SC kits. And I don't mean after high performance wear and tear - I mean a faulty blower with only a few low impact miles. Here's something worse I can think of...DINAN uses Vortech blowers in their kits too... BUT I say with utter confidence DINAN would and will stand behind the Vortech blowers they use - and their lies part of the difference -that and customer service.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Interesting. I asked a contact at ESS about their experience with Vortech blowers and his response was;
We have never had any issues with bearing failures on either the V1, V2 or V3 and we have used over 2000 Vortech units to date.
They have recently moved to using the V3Si unit in their kits
M62B44tu VT1 6PSI Supercharger System - ESS Tuning

Riding in style
#35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Yes yes same crap I heard from the folks who sold me the VF kit - then look at THREE incidents in this thread alone plus all Nuke's experiences on the inside at Caddy. I don't know if it's just another model but it is amazing to me that Dinan would use a company (most of their stuff is all in house) that was not VERY reliable. Strange indeed. And hey, all the ESS blowers I've seen look different - not at all like Vortech products. Hmmm...

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last edited by RoadsterMadness; 08-04-2010 at 07:33 AM.
#36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 AM
42, The meaning of life

Is it possible that these issues occur when the blower is mounted on a less than optimal angle or the drive belt is over tightened? I doubt that ESS or anyone else is going to do major engineering work on the blower design, but the differences in appearance may come down to the angle that they are mounted on relative to horizontal.
So what other brands of blowers are there in BMW kits, and who produces the kits?

Riding in style
#37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 AM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
From all the threads I've read on VF, I would say a lot has to do with Nick's lack of customer service and tuning capabilities.

My Journey with VF - The TRUTH - E46Fanatics

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#38 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

I read some of the linked posts and they are totally consistent and even worse than MY MULTIPLE nightmares with VF! I'd stay FAAAR away from them - try didn't do the right thing by me TWICE on the Roadster's kit and it sounds like FAR worse has happened since I went over to Dinan. SO SORRY to hear these horror stories! Just how I felt! Grrrrr !!!!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 PM
42, The meaning of life

Just wondering what level of boost your systems were running? The ESS kit was running 6psi, and from the post by BG82 above, the VF system was running somewhere near double that, is it possible that the bearing failure is ultimately being caused by excess RPM and load?

Riding in style
#40 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Bullshit my system for the roadster is 6psi - it's VF

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM
42, The meaning of life

Well I guess its not related to the level of boost then?

What other SC kits are there out there that are tailored to the BMW range?
Has anyone seen a kit based on the Whipple units?

Riding in style
#42 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Active AutoWerke is well regarded for Bimmers and Horsepower Freaks is also known for quality products.

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#43 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:22 AM
42, The meaning of life

It looks like HP Freaks use the Vortech V2 SC units as well, is this current or possibly a dated web page?

Riding in style
#44 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Not sure, as again even Dinan uses Vortech (but Dinan and HPF have I would presume is Much better cutomer service and warranties than VF). Active uses different units altogether as far as I know that also have a steeper torque curve I like. There are other brands out there - especially for a 7 series...

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#45 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 AM
n00b

joeyb1960 is on a distinguished road
hello every one yes im a newby and i dont want to step on any ones toes or any thing i have been turbochargeing cars for years i had to make my own kits becouse there so much cheeper the mane thing is to get the best turbo you can get i was running gerrett T2s and i would get garrett certified rebilds for less thin half the price and fab the rest of the kit my self and i always wanted a supercheger all my life but could never get the funds to get one and i always wanted a bmw and yes i could never have enough money boy i wanted one in a bad way so im 52 now and retired ssd and i life saveings i finaly got a bmw at a very good price its a 1999 328ic e36 man i love this car and i have been looking at superchargers for some time now and i was going to get a VF supercharger for a HP shop and he told me tthay did not sell them any more and he told me that thay had way to many problems with them so i ask a lot of people that i get my parts from and thay told me the same thing all the problems thay were haveing with vf and i almost got thank GOD i didnt i got a stage 1 at Active autowerkes it is a way better unit more hp and more tqr it was more money but just 4 or 5 hundred for the peace of mind i would rather pay a little more for the best unit man i cant wate its on its way right now it should be here in two or three days o i for got tell you i have a 330ic also its a 2006 black its a very nice car its my ladys car we love driveing them very much happy driveing you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction