Looking for VF Engineering failure stories - Page 2 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Not A Chance...

She was afraid of my old 528i with the 184bhp stock motor and generally pussyfoots around with her 328xi. She's driven stick about 10 times with a mechaniucal clutch in old USSR Ukraine and was dumb enough to pass on my offer to teach her when the Roadster was on warranty. Now, WAAAAAAAAAAy too much has gone into it mentally, physically and financially. No Roadster driving for her...

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

crawlermonkey is on a distinguished road
I am now questioning my chioce...

I was looking into by a supercharger kit for my 99 m3 and now that I have read this discussion I am not so sure. I was actually looking at the vf engineering kit. So what i am asking you all is since you all don't trust vf engineering which one would you recommend?
#18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlermonkey
I was looking into by a supercharger kit for my 99 m3 and now that I have read this discussion I am not so sure. I was actually looking at the vf engineering kit. So what i am asking you all is since you all don't trust vf engineering which one would you recommend?
1. Dinan.

2. VF isn't so bad. At the end of the day my big complaint is not being able to drive the car in sub-25 degree temps.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:57 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
And look, my shop insists its FINE to drive it in sub-25 degree temps, and I warm the car up no matter WHAT temp it is outside. I drove mine 3 weeks ago on a brutally cold night and, while I won't tell you I wasn;t a little paranoid, I DID drive the car and it was great. VF turns around their kits to the buyer much quicker than AA or others. I only have a few thousand miles on mine so we shall indeed see. I was told by several that while Dinan is great (and Prof/M3UOND is THE biggest Dinan man I know), you ARE paying some for just that NAME, and no quality difference.

All that said, re-readijng this thread makes me CRINGE all over again. Yuck. Time to go stroke my car and talk really nicely to it..."Please don;t fail...please don't fail...". Just kidding. The fact is, ANY aftermarket product carries some degree of risk I suppose, it's all about MANAGING and MINIMIZING that risk, along with a company standing by their product if anything bad does happen.

'nuff said.

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I know this isn't what most of you would want to hear, but i still believe he best thing to do is go to your local tuner shop and build a kit out of all the necessary parts. Hardware from RMS, Vortech V2 supercharger, and tuning from one of the many companies out there (not RMS).

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
^ I agree, and have heard this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
screw all the kits
change the damn engine - no replacement for displacement and costs about the same + more reliable

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
supercharged ls1, dooo it haha

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
nah
350-400 rwhp + 100-150 shots on NOS
i dont want SC - too much headache

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
how is a SC more a headache then NOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb
Both can be a headache if not done properly.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM
68th gear and shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb
SC works full time meaning more chacnes of failure
NOS is rarely used when u need the extra hp, though it will probably do more damage to the engine in the end

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 AM
n00b

sm325is is on a distinguished road
Hi to everybody!!! I very much enjoyed reading all the threads on VF superchargers. I was in the market for one, but now I think I will hold off until more information surfaces. I really appreciate finding you guys and look forward to reading more commentary about your automotive upgrades.
#29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
So three years on, whats the verdict on the VF & ESS supercharging kits?
Are they worth the cash, and can they be considered a reliable upgrade?

Riding in style
#30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

Well well well it seems that while I either did another thread or series of posts elsewhere on Werkz - I never properly updated this one. Well here it is - my VF Engineering SC kit which comes with a Vortech V2 blower I believe - started making loud rattling ahem, like marbles in the blower noises after only 1200 miles of use. I immediately took it back to the shop and they took it out and sent it back to VF. A bearing had indeed failed and an impeller (fan blade) was damaged. VF took SIX WEEKS despite a million calls from my shop, their local rep, to please send a replacement. It finally came in, filthy as if it sat in a nasty shop on the floor for a few months, and was rebuilt as VF refused to give me a new one despite the tiny mileage on mine (and NO tracking the car).

My shop put it back in and handed me a bill for removal, shipping both ways and reinstall of the blower! VF refused to pay for ANYTHING. Often, you hear the song that there are no warranties on high performance parts (yeah, see also DINAN, who would have paid every nickel and recenty replaces a cracked aluminum race radiator - shipped and installed within a WEEK). My shop finally agreed to eat the labor since I had also gotten so much stuff from them. I have hardly driven the Roadster, especially with the advent if the M3 S3-R (all Dinan intercooled SC set up which is FULLY covered and works great despite also having a Vortech blower in the set up). There are barely 2K miles on my VF SC kit but I had to be SUPER aware of ANY loud unusual noises coming from the blower like a rattling sound and was without my convertible for nearly 2 months in the Summertime. Add this to being BILLED for the labor while unit was warranties and nearly new and this whole experience with VF Engineering was an expensive mistake I heavily regret. AWFUL customer service, little coverage (only rebuilt original unit) and took forever. Gee like doing me a FAVOR ti replace THEIR faulty and defective product which had it not been for MY hearing and immediately responding to the rattling sound, would have all been MY problem too?? Just TERRIBLE all around. Plus, main power gains are way up in the RPM's and I would have/should have gone for a steeper torque curve like Active Autowerks or an alternative. It would have, after ALL the expense, time Bd aggravation, been nice to at least have ended up with a quality product that kicked in earlier. I got very little of that from VF.

And I also note that Prof too had to FIGHT with VF for every thing he got as I recall. It was not a phone call to them and they made things right. Seems to methere are far too many stories out there of problems. Let the buyer indeed beware...!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last edited by RoadsterMadness; 07-25-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction