GT 28 Turbo on stock S52 M3 10k motor 8psi - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 11:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CosmosBlk97 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
GT 28 Turbo on stock S52 M3 10k motor 8psi

Before I start this I have posted in forced induction as well just hoping for more helpful positive replys by people w/ experience on the field.
I have '97 E36 M3 w/ new motor on it. At this moment will go with GT28 BB turbo FMIC at 8 psi stock motor and compresion. From what i know S52 comes w/ forged steel rods and forged crank. sounds like the only weak spot is cast aluminum pistons. Do you know HOW MANY HP they are good for?!!

How many psi i can do on GT28 stock motor safe?!!! With or without methanol injection

Winter time i will pull motor and do custom low compresion forged pistons and GT40 or GT42. Im not sure if im going to change rods because i have compared stock S52 to forged aftermarket I beam and the stock looks very beefy and the H beam design is very strong. From what i know stock is just as strong as aftermarket, just heavier so slower rev...

Im NOT LOOKING TO go too wild w/ this car so I want to keep it in 400-550 range depending on boost

I will be very happy to get a reply by people done this before. Will be nice to hear from people running similar setups in a long run. I will appreciate any Positive input !!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Swap rods with an S50 motor, they're noticeably beefier.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosBlk97
At this moment will go with GT28 BB turbo FMIC at 8 psi stock motor and compresion.
I'm going to recommend you not go with a gt28r, but rather consider at the minimum a gt30 with your ideal being a gt35r.8 psi is fine for the stock compression and motor as long as you have it tuned properly.

Quote:
From what i know S52 comes w/ forged steel rods and forged crank. sounds like the only weak spot is cast aluminum pistons. Do you know HOW MANY HP they are good for?!!
Yes on rods and crank. Everything in the motor is pretty good for up to 450+ rwhp reliably. Some swear by the necessity to do beefier rods and low comp pistons. The majority have safely done a thicker headgasket with ARP studs in order to lower the compression ratio.

Quote:
How many psi i can do on GT28 stock motor safe?!!! With or without methanol injection
I wouldn't push past 9 psi borderline on the stock compression stock motor. You neeed to install a thicker headgasket and stronger studs in order to really go above that. And do not look at meth injection as a tool to push your stock motor.

Quote:
Im not sure if im going to change rods because i have compared stock S52 to forged aftermarket I beam and the stock looks very beefy and the H beam design is very strong. From what i know stock is just as strong as aftermarket, just heavier so slower rev...
The stock are very strong, but many people playign with gt40/42's generally do them just in case. I've defintely seen quite a few 450+ rwhp setups send rods through the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
Swap rods with an S50 motor, they're noticeably beefier.
Actually, I would go with the Non-Vanos rods from the 92 3 series. Although aftermarket rods are probably better in his case.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
n00b

inthecrosshairs is on a distinguished road
8psi from a gt28 is honda 1.5l territory. I've gone that route. That psi, from that small of a turbo is going to be painfully inefficient and a waste of money. You are going to have to see well over 20psi to see 450whp with that turbo, and you will be maxing it out, if you even hit your goal. You are better off with a much larger turbo.
450whp is easily achieve able on a completely stock engine, too bad you have the shoddy headgasket eating motor. Run to 500whp, blow out the headgasket, sell it to some dousche who wants n/a power, buy an m50/m52 and enjoy 450whp daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction