BMW Werkz banner

E30 M3 Turbo??

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  triggrhaapi 
#1 ·
hey FI boys.....& girls of coarse,

I would like to put an idea across and would appreciate your opion,
First of all I have recently purchased a e30 m3 2.3l (86) which is currently being right hand drive converted, now before this was being done I had the privlege of driveing it around, hit some fast speeds, one night....shortly before i got $800 dollers of fines from the local copper,but thats another story,I came to the conclusion even though it is an old car and it is probably one of the quickest cars of its era,its just a lil lack luster for me,now my quistion is,is ts ethically correct to turbo my m3?? personally I think if its ur car then I think you can do what you like, however i brought the car to love and cherrish as a bmw fanatic does,and to me turboin a e30 m3 sounds like somethin a butcher would do??,but gettin around that 300-350hp is just to insanely expensive naturally aspirated!, I was under the impresion that every 14.6p of thrust doubles the hp is this true?? so running 10-12p through or even 9p would have huge increase's for relitve small cost,"i mean FI wise"
I understand that the heads from these are simply the same as the M635 with 2cy chopped off and the old cast iron block dat debued in 1961, so as far as I can see its indistructable!!,although lowering the copression from 10.5:1 to something resonable for FI could be tricky....or would you simply use big ass gaskets haha, hey any help would so appreciated

thanks guys pete

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't go past 9 psi on stock internals. Your CR isn't as bad as teh s50 motors too. Droppign compression via headgaskets is often common and not pricey at all. it has proven reliabela dn how you described your block and head I wouldn't doubt that a headgasket and studs wouldnt be able to hold much higher boost.

Turbo Charging a BMW shouldn't be somethign to look away from. It actually makes your car more unique and provides some great power and audio!

With 8.5-9 psi you probabyl would be in the 300-350 bhp range which is what you are aiming for. Findign a turbo kit for a right hand drive car is soemthign i'm not educated in, but i'm sure there are some companeis out there that do it. Somethign that may even be more cost effective would be an engine transplant. An s50b32 would be the engine or choice or even an s38, which i've seen boosted up to 900 bhp.

#3 ·
thanks heaps just what I needed,I can lay my hands on plenty of turbos,I'll probably go for a custom job with a link computer setup or something similar, I'm just making a carbon fibre dash for it at this moment,I'll keep in touch with turbos,would you suggest a special kind? I was thinking of a Td04 or something similar,maybe even a brand new gt series?,

cheers mate pete

#5 ·
Jason has spoken. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the s14 (US spec or international spec), as to why I suggested a engien swap into a motor that has been tested and proven to do well with forced induction. M52b28 is a great motor that can hold high power numbers and isn't as expensive as an s50. Arguably the m52 is a better motor for a turbo setup on a budget depending on what power you want to get.

#6 ·
haha, ok, fair dinkim,I won't turbo it although it is extremly tempting,I see your point in an engine swap,however this is an M3 and I just couldn't do that it has to have this engine,if I would do a motor swap I would do it in just a regular 325 or similar, thanks for your help though, hey any engine mods you could rcomend just off the top of your head??

cheers pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.