custom e39 turbo? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
custom e39 turbo?

i really want to do it, but it wont happen for quite a few months, most likely next summer. so what im wondering am i going need so far i have this
turbo
blow off valve
intercooler
boost controler
boost gauge
piping
turbo manifold, is there some place that sell one of these or would i have to get a custom one built? how much would i be looking at?
what else tell me if i left anything out?
im also wonder about the computer, am i going to need special chip tuning?
other questions are tear down? what going to have to come off the install this. i know the hood, front bumper, headlights, ect.. fenders and front wheels too?
how many people would i need? i was thinking 2(me and a friend)?
i want to get about 300hp to the wheels.
i should be able to do this for about $1500-$2000 right?

kman: THE CHERRY BOMB GLASSPACK GUY!
GLASSPACKIN SINCE 12/2007

b5.5 passat 1.8t gls
e24 635 csi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
$2000? No. You have the m52TU correct? The cost of everything you need would probably be about $4000 or more plus the cost of tuning.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
$2000? No. You have the m52TU correct? The cost of everything you need would probably be about $4000 or more plus the cost of tuning.
$4000, when you say this do mean having a shop do it? or diy? what else would need? cause i know im missing stuff.

b5.5 passat 1.8t gls
e24 635 csi
#4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
i spend in excess of 4k on my turbo. and that was with a junkyard turbo.

#5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:47 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster
i spend in excess of 4k on my turbo. and that was with a junkyard turbo.
what kind of turbo is it? what kind turbo would be good for about 300hp? is the t3 to4e turbo any good?

b5.5 passat 1.8t gls
e24 635 csi
#6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:50 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
300 whp out of a car thats only about 160 whp ????

Good luck.
It's gonna cost a lot more than $2,000.
I'm sure you could find all the parts for $2k if you looked hard enough. In-fact, I know you could. But add in the cost of the miscellaneous parts for mounting, new gaskets, hoses, tubing, etc, etc - then when you find out that your set up only got you an extra 40hp (if that) because of poor tuning.... your going to have to pay big $$$$ for a tuner and numerous dyno runs to make sure everything is going as planned.

#7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0rky
300 whp out of a car thats only about 160 whp ????

Good luck.
It's gonna cost a lot more than $2,000.
I'm sure you could find all the parts for $2k if you looked hard enough. In-fact, I know you could. But add in the cost of the miscellaneous parts for mounting, new gaskets, hoses, tubing, etc, etc - then when you find out that your set up only got you an extra 40hp (if that) because of poor tuning.... your going to have to pay big $$$$ for a tuner and numerous dyno runs to make sure everything is going as planned.
ok well thanks for the input

b5.5 passat 1.8t gls
e24 635 csi
#8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
The turbo alone will run you $500-$700. I just dont kno how much room you e39 guys have. You might even be forced to do a custom manifold which could run you $2000 alone.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
A lot of people buy used parts, too.
Also, I'm pretty sure that most e36 manifolds fit the e39. That makes things a little more cost effective, too.

#10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Keep it Copacetic

I would be sketchy on buying a sued turbo as most of them need rebuilds. If the e36 manifold has enoug room in the e39 then you could get a good manifold for about $450. A turbo will still run you $500. Intercooler would be about $200 for an ebay one but I highly doubt this will fit in your bumper unless you have the e39 M5 bumper, and even still im skeptical because I dont know how low your bumper carrier is or how much room you have. Injectors would be another few hundred. motor mount another $150. Fitting and linees would run up another 100 or so. Piping and other work would be another few hndred plus cost of welding and fitament. Ditto on downpipe and exhaust work. Expect two hundred for a wastegate and the cost of doing some piping there. Also another $220 about for a blow off valve.

Then comes the tuning. I dotn know who would tune your car. AA possibly but they might need it in shop. If not youll probably need to go standalone which can be from $1500-$3000 and then another $1200-$1500 for tuning.

I really want you to go turbo but seriously consider the costs.

And 300 rwhp is possibly on that motor if you spend enough on the turbo, otherwise youll need to drop compresion via headgasket if you buy a turbos thats too small/cheaper. Then on top fo the headgasket you would need to buy studs.

#11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Keep it Copacetic

and really quickly saw this on bf.c. A guy is doing basically the parts I was recommendign to you, and trust me you wont get that tuning. He has the 413 dme and another member on bf.c is a tuner learning it so hes getting a huge discount.

Oil Line Fittings - $75
Custom DP welding - $20
NGK-R5671A-7 (GAPPED TO 0.28) - $13
AEM UEGO - $255
SPA Manifold + Dumptube - $450
Ford 42lb Fuel Injectors - $205
K&N 3.5" Air Filter - $40
FMIC/Piping/Oil Feed/Return Lines - $550
Downpipe - $50
Gauge Holder - $83
Oil Distribution Block - $20
Silicone/T-Bolt Clamps - $180
3.5" 540i MAF - $200
(2) O2 Bungs - $9
Oil Catch Can - $28
Audi Bypass Valve (PN: 710N) - $32
Gaskets/studs/nuts - $50
Perrin MBC - $76
25"x12"x3" FMIC - $120
Techno550 Tuning NO PRICING - $600
Oil Drain Flange - $25
Autometer Oil Temp Gauge - $48
Autometer Sport Comp Boost Gauge - $43
Garrett T3/60-1 HiFi 0.82 A/R Turbo/TiAL 38mm Wastegate/38mm Flange - $990
10' Vaccuum Line - $12
50' Wiring + Wiring Loom - $10
Oil Line Fittings - $75

SO FAR TOTAL IS $4259

#12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
and really quickly saw this on bf.c. A guy is doing basically the parts I was recommendign to you, and trust me you wont get that tuning. He has the 413 dme and another member on bf.c is a tuner learning it so hes getting a huge discount.

Oil Line Fittings - $75
Custom DP welding - $20
NGK-R5671A-7 (GAPPED TO 0.28) - $13
AEM UEGO - $255
SPA Manifold + Dumptube - $450
Ford 42lb Fuel Injectors - $205
K&N 3.5" Air Filter - $40
FMIC/Piping/Oil Feed/Return Lines - $550
Downpipe - $50
Gauge Holder - $83
Oil Distribution Block - $20
Silicone/T-Bolt Clamps - $180
3.5" 540i MAF - $200
(2) O2 Bungs - $9
Oil Catch Can - $28
Audi Bypass Valve (PN: 710N) - $32
Gaskets/studs/nuts - $50
Perrin MBC - $76
25"x12"x3" FMIC - $120
Techno550 Tuning NO PRICING - $600
Oil Drain Flange - $25
Autometer Oil Temp Gauge - $48
Autometer Sport Comp Boost Gauge - $43
Garrett T3/60-1 HiFi 0.82 A/R Turbo/TiAL 38mm Wastegate/38mm Flange - $990
10' Vaccuum Line - $12
50' Wiring + Wiring Loom - $10
Oil Line Fittings - $75

SO FAR TOTAL IS $4259
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahah ah..... oh man...

Look man, you're forgetting a few things, like a turbo header (PPF, E36 style, $950) full exhaust (custom, roughly $1k) and a turbo that doesn't suck (Garrett GT35R .82A/R, $400 more than stupid T3/60 fag blower) Figure your low estimate is around $6500 so once you factor in all the crap you haven't thought of, or weren't expecting to need (which always happens) you should be budgeting $9000 for this project.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
i think i would be better off waiting to do it, till i get a higher paying job.

b5.5 passat 1.8t gls
e24 635 csi
#14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Keep it Copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahah ah..... oh man...

Look man, you're forgetting a few things, like a turbo header (PPF, E36 style, $950) full exhaust (custom, roughly $1k) and a turbo that doesn't suck (Garrett GT35R .82A/R, $400 more than stupid T3/60 fag blower) Figure your low estimate is around $6500 so once you factor in all the crap you haven't thought of, or weren't expecting to need (which always happens) you should be budgeting $9000 for this project.
The manifold is already listed. It's the SPA manifold. It's a very well built manifold. Sure the t60-1 isnt the best turbo, defintely not up to the dual ball bearing standards of a gt35r, but it's a budget turbo that does well in low boost settings and right for the power he was looking for. And you dotn necessarily need to do an exhaust. Sure it would up the power, but who really wants to wake up the bistate area? I cant stand loud exhaust. You could get some custom work and have it connected to your stock exhaust. Maybe some high flow cats. An exhaust isnt necessaily a must, but it will help. If you do that, liek Jason said, another grand.

But yeah, ditto. Theres a shit ton of stuff youll need to. Clutch. maybe tires. Maybe better brake pads. Stuff like that aswell.

#15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Oh, sorry I didn't see the SPA manifold listed. Not exactly a manifold I'd go with when a much better one can be had for just a bit more. I tend to think that "budget" turbo systems are a waste of time and money. If you cheap out, you leave things out and you end up having to upgrade later anyway, which overall costs way more than doing it right the first time.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction