blow off valve - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
revharde30 is on a distinguished road
blow off valve

can u put one on a super charger
revharde30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
centrifugal superchargers usually run a recirculation valve...or even the blow off valve...blow off valves don't function as well as recircs on turbo/centrifugal superchargers but they "sound cool"

but as far as screw type superchargers you dont need one...the second you let off the throttle the supercharger slows down...no issues of back spooling the supercharger...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
i got a g60 and im putting a motor in it and i want the cool sound
Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by revharde30
RICE ALERT!!!!!!!!!
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^lol yeah..... there for turbos if you want that sound turbo the thing....
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
your best bet with the supercharger is a bypass valve instead... technically you could run an atmospheric blow off valve but im pretty sure you will lose power as a result...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by revharde30
corrado G60? with a G Lader supercharger there is no need for a blow off valve...come on man...thats just silly

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
yea
Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
moved to forced induction forum as it was not E30 specific

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
..blow off valves don't function as well as recircs on turbo/centrifugal superchargers but they "sound cool"
Not true at all. Venting to atmosphere or recirculating should be based on whether its a blow through or pull through forced induced setups.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
it really shouldn't matter, its better to keep as much air circulating through the turbo as possible to keep it spooling, where as with a BOV you are just venting the boost air to atmosphere and not sending it back through the turbo...what am i missing?

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
After re-reading what you said, I figured out what you meant. As far as AF mixtures and what not go, you are correct. In a draw through setup you should run a recirc as the computer has already calculated for that much Air/Fuel. Although, I'm starting to think you miss understand the purpose of the recirc....

First there were recirc valves. BOV's came way later because they sound cool. In all reality, regardless of draw through or blow through (I'm guessing you mean MAF location) you will still keep the turbo spooling faster if you take the boost pressure from between the throttle body and turbo, and put it back before the turbo. The turbo will continue spinning faster and for longer than if you were to just take that boost pressure and release it to atmosphere.

Granted, a BOV is better than nothing...as that throttle closes, the pressure builds until the turbo stops or even back spools which = teh bad...

Conclusion: Recirc > BOV > Nothing

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 01-16-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
Not true at all. Venting to atmosphere or recirculating should be based on whether its a blow through or pull through forced induced setups.
Uhh... no. The way it affects backspooling is the same either way. I believe you are referring to a common tuning issue whereby blowing to atmosphere causes certain tuning setups to go rich when venting to atmo and using a draw through (not pull through) MAF system. This happens because air is drawn through the MAF and metered, which adjusts the fuel injector duty cycle and provides fuel to mix with air that ends up getting wasted to atmosphere.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
with your corrado G60 do you plan on rebuilding the supercharger a lot? With the supercharger you can get the cool whiiiiiiinnne sound, ive heard a bunch of vw's with superchargers, mainly 2 liter 8v's though.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
Uhh... no. The way it affects backspooling is the same either way. I believe you are referring to a common tuning issue whereby blowing to atmosphere causes certain tuning setups to go rich when venting to atmo and using a draw through (not pull through) MAF system. This happens because air is drawn through the MAF and metered, which adjusts the fuel injector duty cycle and provides fuel to mix with air that ends up getting wasted to atmosphere.
Thanks for giving the same answer i gave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BMW325i
with your corrado G60 do you plan on rebuilding the supercharger a lot? With the supercharger you can get the cool whiiiiiiinnne sound, ive heard a bunch of vw's with superchargers, mainly 2 liter 8v's though.
the GLader already makes that sound a little bit...swap out the GLader for a bahn brenner twin screw...that setup sounds MONEY....loudest SC evAr...so hawt...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction