AA TS supercharger - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
AA TS supercharger

Hey folks,

I'm strongly interested in doing the Active Autowerke stage 2 twin screw supercharger. I need some bimmerwerkz brainpower to figure out what all I should do to the car in conjunction.

1. Obviously I need to do an automatic to manual transmission swap. I'd like to do the six-speed rather than the five-speed swap. AA performance clutch? Advice? Cost? Strange things to know?

2. Can the differential in a standard E36 M3 stand up to >400 hp?

3. Should I do a partial engine rebuild? Pistons? Gaskets? What do I need to do to this engine to make it last with boost?

4. What if I dropped in some Schrick cams along with the s/c? Anticipated gains? Race headers?

Basically, I'll be saving up for this over the next twelve months, so money is not a huge concern. Tell me what you would do if you were interested in doing this upgrade to an E36 M3.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
yea, same here, with luck ill have an m3 engine by december, but i wanna build it up first to eventually boost it, so it would be nice to know what to save up for and what to do to the engine before i drop it in, hopefully by next may

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
a turbo or SC is the 2nd to last thing you probably want to do. (chip being last) Definetly get headers with a free flow exhaust. A more agressive cam will most likely take advantage of the extra air better since cam timing is different. Also you should upgrade the throttle body. Lastly you'll probably want to look into oil-cooling too... I dont know much about the transmission swap, but id love to see a 6-speed E36!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, AA has a screen name on here. PM them. They will know for sure.

p.s. I want to do the same thing to my E30...
(5 speed, though)

p.p.s. can I have a loan?
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Active Autowerke II is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Active Autowerke II
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
Hey folks,

I'm strongly interested in doing the Active Autowerke stage 2 twin screw supercharger. I need some bimmerwerkz brainpower to figure out what all I should do to the car in conjunction.

1. Obviously I need to do an automatic to manual transmission swap. I'd like to do the six-speed rather than the five-speed swap. AA performance clutch? Advice? Cost? Strange things to know?.
The swap can be done as well as provided in a kit form with everything necessary. We have clutch and flywheels as well to with stand 400+ hp

Quote:
2. Can the differential in a standard E36 M3 stand up to >400 hp?.
The diffs in the E36 models have been known to be iffy. Our diff support bracket is well known all around the world and will save you thousands.

Quote:
3. Should I do a partial engine rebuild? Pistons? Gaskets? What do I need to do to this engine to make it last with boost?.
This kit was designed on a completely stock motor but if your engine has aged a bit you may just want to do a leak down test and/ or a compression test and make sure everything is still in good shape. I would also advise checking all of your hoses and the gaskets. Rebuilding for the twin screw isn't necessary.

Quote:
4. What if I dropped in some Schrick cams along with the s/c? Anticipated gains? Race headers?.
I advise headers and an exhaust we do have a new 3 inch turbo exhaust coming out for boosted cars. As for the cams you can if you want to but not necessary the exhaust and water alcohol injection will make you very happy with the performance of the kit.

Quote:
Basically, I'll be saving up for this over the next twelve months, so money is not a huge concern. Tell me what you would do if you were interested in doing this upgrade to an E36 M3.
Modding cars will always be there and so will we just let me know if there are any questions i can answer for you and i will be able to keep you updated on whatever you may need
Active Autowerke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Hey Jean, thanks for the reply. The M3 will soon be turning into my second car, and once I get some cash saved up, I'm actually considering the idea of dropping the car off to you guys in Miami--I figure no one does installs of AA stuff better than AA; and you might as well do the tranny and diff work for me too, if you'd be open to it. Can I assume that AA does all of this kind of stuff in-house for the right price? Would you be able to help me locate and purchase a euro M3 six-speed tranny too, for instance?

I'm going to do the compression and leakdown test at the earliest opportunity. What are considered "good" numbers for those tests?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

Lindsay fan club member.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Active Autowerke II is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Active Autowerke II
Quote:
Hey Jean, thanks for the reply.
Your Welcome anytime

Quote:
The M3 will soon be turning into my second car, and once I get some cash saved up, I'm actually considering the idea of dropping the car off to you guys in Miami--I figure no one does installs of AA stuff better than AA; and you might as well do the tranny and diff work for me too, if you'd be open to it. Can I assume that AA does all of this kind of stuff in-house for the right price? Would you be able to help me locate and purchase a euro M3 six-speed tranny too, for instance?
Yes we can i can get just about anything you might need for an E36 we have been working on those models for about a 10 or so years now and we have so much to offer.
I can get you a complete tranny kit when you are ready at a decent price. Same for the twin screw and install i will try my best to give you a completely different beast at a price which you will not regret. If you are ever in the area come down and take a ride in our twin screw and feel it for your self.

Quote:
I'm going to do the compression and leakdown test at the earliest opportunity. What are considered "good" numbers for those tests?
As for the compression test some gauges may be off a little so look for consistency in all six cylinders ranging form 185- 200 but make sure they are consistent all the way across.
As for the leak down test anything less than a 10% drop off is pretty good.

Like i said just maintain the car properly and check hoses and other wear and tear items and your car will last as long as you want it to boosted or not.
Active Autowerke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Oh hell yeah. Im excited for you m3uond!

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I am jealous/hate of you for deep pockets $$...
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsbeaker
I am jealous/hate of you for deep pockets $$...
Hey man, remember I'm a teacher :-) Actually I just got a new teaching job down in the Atlanta area with a significantly higher salary than I'm used to. Priority number one will be paying off school debt. The car will be priority number 2 after that. I would imagine that I'll be doing car stuff starting in about January. I'm sure I still won't beat my new boss's cars, though--either of them. He has truly great taste. Not interested in giving out any personal information, so don't ask. He has a Bentley Continental GT as a daily driver and a Ferrari 575 Maranello. He also really likes my M3. We have very similar philosophies on a lot of things. I'm going to be pretty happy down there :-)

Lindsay fan club member.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

Car:
Photos:
buuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond reputebuuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
^ wow what do you guys teach to make so much $$$

That is sick though, I know you can get the euro tranny off of bimmerworld, as for your diff I would spend the extra money and get a limited slip that is built to take the heat, that way you get relability and better traction, full exhaust would be sick as well, water/alchohol is a must(eric has it, ask him about it) trottle body is a good idea, your engine it self can remain stock, but the other stuff would make a dank ass ride

Last edited by buuhh99; 06-22-2006 at 12:48 AM.
buuhh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Photos:
BMW use bolts to secure the head. There are alternative, stronger options. What are your suggestions? (open question)

Are our pistons forged? If not, what are some really good forged pistons? And rings to go with those?

I seem to recall a comparison with M50 rods on here a while ago. Are those direct replacements for my rods?

Lindsay fan club member.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Our engines are strong. It has been proven that you don't need to do much internal work at all. What most recommend is just doing a thicker headgasket, thus dropping the compression a bit. While doing that put in better head studs (ARP usually recommended) and you should be set. AA does great work and with that engine work you'll be making great reliable power.

W/I injection isn't a bad idea. AA also has a good w/i system. I thinkt hey retail it for $750.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
aquamist retails the same setup for $450

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Photos:
It doesnt come with a tank or enough material to place the tank in the trunk, does it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction