Warped, Dented, Damaged E36 Nose Panel Quick Fix! (Pictorial DIY) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:10 PM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cool Warped, Dented, Damaged E36 Nose Panel Quick Fix! (Pictorial DIY)

About two or three times a year I get some sort of annoying front end damage from parking on the streets in New York City. Unlike my undamaged Gfriend's 2007 Accord front end panel, my E36 front nosepanel and grills always seem to come out of any parking bumps looking like I drove head on into a tree.
Our cars seem to be notorious for having a soft dent-able nose panel hence which is why it is easy and quick to fix-The metal of the nose panel is really much softer and malleable than you would think.
Most dent shops will charge you $100 to $200 to do the same thing and if you need paint $200 to $300.

All you need are a soft hammer or mallet and your hands and about 10 minutes to 1 hr of free time to get it done right. I did this on a 96 degree day in mid-July under the hot sun so I'm not sure if the metal is easier to work when hot than when cold. So bear that in mind.

A Ford Expedition backed into me whiles I was parked at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx a few saturdays ago. Here is the damage.

Start by removing the two black coverings that sit over the fan and radiator

Run your fingers between the grills to feel out the dents. It would normally feel smooth but the dents will feel like bumps or lumps along the inside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
You can begin pushing out or using the hammer/mallet to tap the dents out. I didn't need a hammer and only used my hands and fingers because the metal was ridiculously soft and easy to flex out.

Keep checking the front to make sure the panel is getting better.

Adjust the grills when you are done. Close the hood and step back to get a better visual of how it looks
Voila!

#3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:17 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yup. I had to bend my nose panel back to original shape (well, close to it), and all I needed was a rubber mallet and a hammer.

And yay for you spelling voila correctly

#4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
n00b

alheim is on a distinguished road
Delmarco: thanks for the post. I live in New York City and have gotten front grille damage a few times (got hit today, and I JUST got the car back from the body shop 6 days ago.... grrrr). Anyway, this one I can fix myself. Same exact damage as your photos. So anyway, I registered just to say, thanks for putting this up.

I have a '97 328is.

Alex
#5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:00 PM
n00b

Tony Machado is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. I'm going to use his theory and see how it turns out. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's