Video DIY: How to Easily Disassemble your E46 Console Armrest In 2 Minutes or Less - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wink Video DIY: How to Easily Disassemble your E46 Console Armrest In 2 Minutes or Less

DIY: How to Easily Disassemble your E46 Console Armrest to replace just the parts you need.

Last Autumn I noticed my armrest's lid hinge had somehow cracked and I set out to replace it. Little did I know that you don't necessarily have to buy an entire armrest anchor to replace just the parts you want to replace. I quickly found out how it all easily comes apart and back together again. So that you can save money and time just replacing the parts you need to.

Another big point of this DIY is to also show that you DO NOT need to remove the entire armrest from the car to remove the leather lid part and hinge plastic.
So that is why this is super easy and super quick.

Only tools needed are basic pliers like the ones you get at Ikea and a flat head screw driver or sturdy/clean/dull butter knife which will be used for prying. You may also need a star-point screw driver for removing the rear ashtray and back cover to access the hinge if the armrest will be worked on in the car.

PART ONE: Taking it apart

PART TWO: Putting it back together

Last Autumn I realize that my armrest outer hinge was cracked and sticking out. This was tough for me because the armrest did not lift all the way up unless you squeeze in the part that was cracked and sticking out. Also when the outer hing cracks you usually need to replace the entire lid that the leather skin sits on which is directly attached to the broken hinge.

On eBay I found this armrest. The range in prices from 99 cents starting bid to $125 buy it now. I got this one for $75 which was in decent shape.

Then I quickly disassembled it to extract the parts that I needed. Which was only the leather lid/hinge part.

That is all. It was really a lot easier than I expected going into this DIY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Wow, yet another cool one!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 PM
n00b

MontereyDave is on a distinguished road
Garage
Thank you Delmarco for sharing your expertise. You made an otherwise nearly impossible task very easy with your DIY thread and YouTube video. I replaced the worn and cracked armrest cover with a custom fit one I found on eBay. The quality of my replacement's black vinyl made not be quite as good as the original leatherette but it is now comfortable and looks better than the cracked original to me. Thanks again.

Original

Replacement

#4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 PM
n00b

2003EbonyBimmer is on a distinguished road
Hey, that replacement looks horrid, I would've left the original. :-)
#5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 PM
n00b

MontereyDave is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EbonyBimmer View Post
Hey, that replacement looks horrid, I would've left the original. :-)
The soft texture of the replacement feels better under my elbow than the cracking mess of the ragged original.

#6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
n00b

2003EbonyBimmer is on a distinguished road
I can't blame you for that but as far as cosmetics, it's pretty bad considering that the rest of the leather shown in the pic looks pristine. I would've spent the money for a quality replacement, I mean c'mon, it's a BMW, not some Honda, Toyota or other cheap line out there. Give quality the quality it deserves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's