Resources for working on 5L V12 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Vettezuki is on a distinguished road
Resources for working on 5L V12

Howdy,

My brother and I are considering making our own little redneck sports car. The base will be a 70s era 240Z. We'd really like to use the 5.0L V12 from the 7 Series. They can be had relatively cheaply out of salvage cars.

BUT, I'm concerned about
- parts availability
- parts cost
- any performance parts (racing cams, etc.)?
- engine control, computer/harness

So basically, I'm looking for any expert resources on this engine platform, or vendors that provide parts and information. Or if there is anybody here who might be interested going down this strange and dark alley.

Cheers.
Vettezuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Bad engine to chose for performance + reliability + cheap cost.

Its expensive in almost every regard, and uses very old technology. Its for all intents and purposes two m20 engines mated together, including 2 engine harnesses and 2 ecu's. The bmw i-6 such as the m50/m52 etc is a better engine.. smaller, lighter, less complex, and if you turbo it it'll make more hp, more reliably.

Honestly, I'd put an m50 engine in my car if I had the funds available for such a swap. Its a downgrade in many peoples eyes, but I just love i-6 engines.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster View Post
Bad engine to chose for performance + reliability + cheap cost.

Its expensive in almost every regard, and uses very old technology. Its for all intents and purposes two m20 engines mated together, including 2 engine harnesses and 2 ecu's. The bmw i-6 such as the m50/m52 etc is a better engine.. smaller, lighter, less complex, and if you turbo it it'll make more hp, more reliably.

Honestly, I'd put an m50 engine in my car if I had the funds available for such a swap. Its a downgrade in many peoples eyes, but I just love i-6 engines.

Dual harnesses and ECUs? Yikes! It's not sooo much about performance, but something "interesting." But it can't cost an arm and a leg and it needs to be vaguely reliable so this ain't sounding too inviting. . . As for I6s, I'm all about the 2JZGTE, which is about the gnarliest I6 platform ever. There's a million ways to go a prices ranging from not too bad on up.

Mmm, a little disappointing.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Dual harnesses and ECUs? Yikes! It's not sooo much about performance, but something "interesting." But it can't cost an arm and a leg and it needs to be vaguely reliable so this ain't sounding too inviting. . . As for I6s, I'm all about the 2JZGTE, which is about the gnarliest I6 platform ever. There's a million ways to go a prices ranging from not too bad on up.

Mmm, a little disappointing.
Actually, the s50 heads flow better then the 2jz does. Its a myth that the 2jz makes more power. There are just more people who tend to buy supras tend to throw more $ for high hp numbers, whereas most bmw owners are happy to "just" have 300-600 usable hp.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster View Post
Actually, the s50 heads flow better then the 2jz does. Its a myth that the 2jz makes more power. There are just more people who tend to buy supras tend to throw more $ for high hp numbers, whereas most bmw owners are happy to "just" have 300-600 usable hp.
I don't now so much about the BMW I6.

- What is the stock bottom end good for (2JZ is an easy 700)
- The GTE comes with low compression because it's factory boosted
- How much are salvage BMW I6s (2JZGTEs w/ awesome Getrag trannies, ECU, Harness from Japan are about $2,500. . . ready to go)
- Aren't parts for Bimmer motors a little on the ridiculous side? I come from the SBC world where stuff is pretty cheap

Not trying to start an argument, I'm not a fanboy of anything. Just want to have a basis of objective evaluation.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
Engines stock with thicker MLS HG make 600-800whp with proper tuning and supporting mods (injectors, fuel pump, etc)

1000+whp is easily possible with forged pistons, con rods, and again, the correct tuning.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's