Renew your Dirty Peeling BMW Console Trim For Free Pictorial DIY (Part 2) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Cool Renew your Dirty Peeling BMW Console Trim For Free Pictorial DIY (Part 2)

Renew your Dirty Peeling BMW Console Trim For Free Pictorial DIY (Part 2)

This is a second edition to a previous thread I created a week or so ago.

This time I found my old coin holder trim (that I took off long ago when I bought my car) that was sitting under the kitchen sink awaiting to be thrown out. The dealership sells these for about $50 and they sell in brand new condition on eBay or online from $25 and up so I didn't care to keep it or sell it. It was really old looking, dirty and just all around shredded.

Anyway, finding it over the weekend made me think that it was going to be perfect for a DIY model for showing the community step by step how to do this relatively easy and unknown trick that will renew and restore the trim to factory new.

Here is a before and after picture to demonstrate how serious I am:

This DIY takes about 5 minutes or less and only requires hot water, dish soap and a dish sponge with a scrub back: All things you will find in any household kitchen for free.

Start with a boiled kettle of water:

Get your trim, scrubbie sponge, soap and mix it all together with a little elbow grease and hot water:

As you scrub and wipe the rubber top coat will melt right off the top revealing a clean brand new under layer:

With in 3 to 5 minutes....voila!

Then you replace everything: Here I bought a new Cup Holder unit trim from the dealership for my car at the time I bought the car that I never used since I also got a Euro Tray from eBay. So you can see how factory new the Coin Holder unit trim is next to the factory new Cup Holder.

One side note that I mentioned in the previous DIY is that when you renew the tan beige trim the plastic under the rubber will look slightly lighter than other trim that still has the rubber coat on. So you may end up having to do the entire console trim units and base around the armrest to get everything looking factory new and OEM.

You can see what I mean in this picture.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jc2470 is on a distinguished road
thx del, just the info I was looking for. I assume it would work the same for the bottom of doors? near the speakers etc...
jc2470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jc2470 is on a distinguished road
Just did my whole console, came out great. Took like a hour and a half for entire console. thx!
jc2470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Really good post my friend !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's