Question about Synthetic Oil? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Question about Synthetic Oil?

I've been wanting to start using synthetic oil ever since I bought my car back in January 07'. But I was not sure if I should, because I heard somewhere that, if you are not sure if the previous owner or owners used synthetic or conventional oil you should stick with conventional, especially if the vehicle is an earlier model. Something about the synthetic loosening engine gunk...... You would think as an ex mechanic I would know the answer to this question, but my days as a B-tech. ended in the early 90's not sure if many people used synthetic back then....So has anybody switched from conventional to synthetic without experiencing any problems, I'm sure its not a big deal, but what hell......
johnny,
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1995 325i and 1991 318is
Photos:
iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
hmmm.... i don't know exactly how it all works, but i thought all bmw's use synthetic from the factory. I use synthetic for my car, but as far as i know, it had always used synthetic. you might be able to call any BMW dealer and just ask them. I am sure they would tell you.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I think bimmers started using synthetic across the range of all vehicles in about 1998. In any case, the problem is that the smaller molecules of the synthetic oil will trash your seals if they've been broken in with dinosaur oil. If you're not sure, just get really good dinosaur oil and it'll be just as good as the synth for your car.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
I think bimmers started using synthetic across the range of all vehicles in about 1998. In any case, the problem is that the smaller molecules of the synthetic oil will trash your seals if they've been broken in with dinosaur oil. If you're not sure, just get really good dinosaur oil and it'll be just as good as the synth for your car.
T-Rex oil, thats funny...... Good T-Rex oil.....That's what I have been doing,
thanks Prof............
johnny,
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 2004 ZHP 6SPD
Photos:
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
i don't know man, i think bmw has pretty tough seals if you ask me. I've switched from dino oil to synthetic with no problems. that synthetic really cleans up the engine an makes it run sooo smooth.

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 2003 BMW 330CI
Photos:
warcraftjjs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to warcraftjjs
You could always go the route of a synthetic blend. You will have about the same affects as full synthetic but not the cost of full synthetic. And you can always go back to regular oil, if you need to. I've been using it in my wifes Audi A6 and the car has never once given me any problems since I've changed it to synthetic blend, and the car has over 126,000 miles and still running strong.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Anthracite e39 530iA
Photos:
Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
I say if you've been doing fine with dino oil, stick with it. No reason to switch to more expensive synth.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1998 328is 2003 325xi
Photos:
jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Johnny, seeing as you live where it gets cold and you start it in winter, you'd be better off with the synth. It flows better in the cold so it protects better. I've been running 10w40 Syntec since last April and it never missed a beat, even at -18F. I'd probably run Castrol Edge if they'd sell their 0w-40 in the states.

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 325iT, 88 320i, 92 325iC, 89 190
Photos:
denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
my car needs half-synthetic 10W40

denyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
The way i see it just switch to synthetic... worst case senario is you might have some oil leaks in that case i say the seal was on its way out anyways... its kind of like people refusing to use engine cleaner because the carbon buildup gives them better compression, that is true, but if your engine is holding up on carbon deposits then its time to rework that engine....

Use the switch as a sort of test, if you leak, your engine needs a couple things... if not then your engine still is kicking without missing a beat...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2008 BMW 128i
Photos:
polskamafia mjl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to polskamafia mjl
Damaging your seals is an old wive's tale...and, more importantly, they say not to go back to conventional oil after using synthetic, not the other way around. So, regardless, you're safe. Go with synthetic, somehting like Mobil 1, is a good choice for European cars and especially if your car is getting up there in miles. Most of the time, the synthetics are deseigned to repair damaged and worn seals so you won't start leaking anything.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1994 e34 525
Photos:
coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
My bmw shop recommends sticking with the regular oil on pre 1998 models. I am originally from ny/nj and i never had a problem with regular oil.
coolvegase34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kent110 is on a distinguished road
Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1985 728i, Silver
Photos:
bubbahzanetti is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Amsoil rocks

Amsoil outperforms Mobil 1 all the way across the board, and is made in America. Cost-wise, 5 quarts is around $48, but with filter changes @ 5K will run 25K miles before recycling. Oil analysis is cheaper than oil changes, and tells you more about the shape of your internal engine components. 100% synthetic is the way to go. Amsoil also has the 0w40 for your brand new BMW.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahzanetti View Post
Amsoil outperforms Mobil 1 all the way across the board, and is made in America. Cost-wise, 5 quarts is around $48, but with filter changes @ 5K will run 25K miles before recycling. Oil analysis is cheaper than oil changes, and tells you more about the shape of your internal engine components. 100% synthetic is the way to go. Amsoil also has the 0w40 for your brand new BMW.
Man, if it was liquid gold, I wouldn't leave it inside my engine for 25k.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's