Pictorial E36 Fuel Filter Maintainence DIY (Pictures) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Pictorial E36 Fuel Filter Maintainence DIY (Pictures)

Last edited by Delmarco; 07-03-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Last edited by Delmarco; 07-03-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage

Last edited by Delmarco; 07-03-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage

Last edited by Delmarco; 07-03-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage

Old 07-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage

Old 07-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage

Put your fuse back in and plug in your battery and start your car. It may take a few seconds to a minute for the fuel to kick back in so be patient and don't panic.

Good Luck.

FYI: Took me about 2 hours to do this only because it was my first time and all three bolts were rusty and took effort to get off.
Normally this DIy would take about 40 minutes to an hour.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Very nice job man. Thanks for all the pictures.

Just one question: why is it necessary to stal the car out with the fuse removed at the beginning of the process?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Very nice job man. Thanks for all the pictures.

Just one question: why is it necessary to stal the car out with the fuse removed at the beginning of the process?
Yes. It is or when you get to removing the lines from the filter you will get fuel squirting out of the lines at both ends (since it is still under pressure) and you got fuel leaking out the filter...it would be a trillion times more messy and dangerous.

Pulling the fuse to stall was no biggie. Your car will be fine when you are done. I drove for a mile after the DIY just to be sure.

GENERAL FYI: This is for post 1994 E36. If you have a Pre 1994 E36 head over to the Pelican Parts DIY Section for your cars. Sorry for the typos. I did this right after spending 2 hours under my car on a 100 degree day with gasoline all over me.

Last edited by Delmarco; 07-03-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
one more picture

so I had the filter draining out for a few hours in the yard and what looks like black mud and sand came out the front end of the filter where the unfiltered gasoline goes in. It was alot of this inside and which is why the old filter was heavier than the new one.

I can't imagine what this was doing to my fuel pump and engine!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
twindaddy is on a distinguished road
Thank you for this great post and for all of pictures. Much appreciate it!!
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's