OEM E36 Tailpipe Trim Upgrade Pictorial DIY - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:58 PM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
OEM E36 Tailpipe Trim Upgrade Pictorial DIY

So whiles waiting for my LED bulbs to come in from China and my ICV hoses to come in from the dealership as well as the 18 Button OBC w/ OBC Stalk and Upgraded E36 Cupholder set to come in the mail. I decided to complete my Chrome trim tailpipe project. I was originally going to order this tip from the dealership for about $30, until I was buying Carwash liquid at Strauss Auto and wondered upon this identical tip to the one the dealership sells for the E36 318i, 318is, 318ic and 318ti. Even better it was only $11.99 so I picked it up, made sure it fit my car’s pipe and took it home.
The DIY is simple for this, but beware that you may want shorter bolts to get a proper fit as well as to make the pipe trim look more OEM and less Rice-y!
Below the Pictures speak for themselves! Enjoy and good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The clamps that come with the tips are outrageously big and can stick out. Make sure the tip has a drainage hole for those messy exhaust fumes that dribble out in liquid form. Also the curled back lip looks OEM and less Ricey. It is also more durable and less susceptible to rusting.

#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Whiles attempting to put on the trim the first time I realized that three clamps were too much so I used the one clamp on the bottom which was very secure.

Last edited by Delmarco; 07-09-2008 at 03:04 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
After I saw that the clamp stuck out about an inch on the bottom I realized this was not working for me so I went back to get a set of shorter bolts. Make sure the shorter bolts are the same diameter as the old ones and the bolt head size is 10mm.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:03 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The three shorter bolts were the most secure, less obvious and cleaner looking. I threw out the
Clamps and was happier for it.

Good Luck,
Delmarco

#6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Now I can die in peace.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Now I can die in peace.
Why?
No one requested you to die.

you no likin' my tail pipe essay?

#8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
just spend 5$ and have someone at amuffler shop put a tack weld on it to keep it in place. bolts look really tacky.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster View Post
just spend 5$ and have someone at amuffler shop put a tack weld on it to keep it in place. bolts look really tacky.
I know. I agree with you. It is strange though because a lot of new cars have bolted on trims even the BMW E90s you can see the tiny bolts at the bottom of the pipes. I guess it becoming so popular that it is the norm.

Still I'd rather have it on my $5,000 car instead of my $50,000 car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's