BMW Werkz banner

how to press bbs rim bolts?

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sebrock78 
#1 ·
I am nearing the end of an exhausting recondition of my BBS Style 5 rims. I bought them off a guy who used them for snow tires for $300 for the set. The clear coat was flaking off and pitting had occured near the bolt heads. I stripped them down and vigorously wet sanded them in stages of 320, 400, and 600 grit sandpaper. Then I proceeded to polish them with a high speed drill and buffing pads while using the appropriate compound. After polishing the aluminum to a high luster I sprayed them with an epoxy urethane clear coat. I then wet sanded and buffed again to desired sheen. I opted to Zinc weld prime the rim bolts and spray them with a gloss black paint to contrast the polished aluminium and silver powder coated centers. I also sprayed the painted bolts with two caosts of the urethane clear. Now my dilemma is how to press the bolts back into the rims without scuffing or chipping the bolt head finish. I am wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with reconditioning two piece rims and how you might have pressed the rim bolts in. Is there a recommended procedure to do so? I have tried a few different methods with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.