Greetings. It's been a while since my last post, but I've been busy sourcing parts and preparing for the build stage. Several complications have prevented the 2.9l stroker from happening, and instead I am building an S50 from an M50. Don't worry, it's still a frankenmotor to me. Many parts are at my machinist and I am eager to post pictures of the new parts. I drop off the impossible to find last piston tomorrow and I will pick up parts and probably build the motor next weekend.
As for this installment, I will be dropping a pair of S50 camshafts into my camshaft trays and completing the reassembly of the cylinder head. I have replaced all of the valves for cylinder 6, as well as all of the valvestem seals. Sorry I don't have pictures, but I will describe the process:
First you need to remove the valve and the valvespring from the cylinder head as seen here in step one
of the frankenmotor build. Then, using a pair of channel lock pliers you squeeze the valvestem seal and twist, releasing and clamping it alternating in 90 degrees so that it deforms and weakens the metal. Be careful not to scar the valve guides as you do this. Once the valvestem seal is off, use a soft cloth to remove any rubber debris from the valve guide and press the new valvestem seal on until it is flush. A barbed lip on the guide holds the seal on by cutting into the rubber against the metal housing. This makes them difficult to get off so do it slowly and carefully. It took Joe (IamJoe) and I nearly two and a half hours to replace the full set.
I have also cleaned, polished, lubricated and reassembled the cup tappets and the camshaft trays. They were kept wrapped in foil until the head was ready to be reassembled, and once the valves and valvestem seals were finished, Joe and I placed the trays inside of the cylinder head. We also put on the VANOS unit and the new valve cover gasket to keep dust out, and just for vanity, added something else...
Also, I have prepared the camshafts by coating the lobes and bearings with assembly lube:
We will be off to the garage in a moment to install the camshafts using the Pelican Parts method.
I have tested the theory by placing the camshaft on the cam tray and turning it to find the sweet spot. More pictures will follow detailing our installation. Stay tuned!