The Frankenmotor Project: Step Two - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Retired administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
(Thread Starter)
The Frankenmotor Project: Step Two

Ok, well step two isn't quite finished yet, but I felt like giving you guys an update anyway, just to make you all feel loved. Plus I've got some interesting problems to work out. Anyhow, on with the show:

After the M52's head had been removed (to give it back to it's owner) I discovered a bunch of rust in the cylinders. Now any other person but me would commit hara kari when seeing what I'm about to show you, but I'm strong, what can I say.

This one is cylinder #1, there's a hair of corrosion there, not so bad.

This is cylinder #2, which is identical to cylinder #6, absolutely zero corrosion.

Here's where the nightmare begins. You are looking at cylinder #4 just at the bottom of the image you can see a little ring of corrosion on #3, but #4 and #5 are pretty much both the same. Bad. very very bad. Thankfully the corrosion isn't so bad that I need to bore out the block, it just needs to be honed. That can be done by hand with a special tool that attatches to a drill and is specially designed not to take any metal with it, just the corrosion.

I'll post some pics of that when I get around to doing it. Also you can clearly see that I'm gonna be spending alot of time with a wire brush and a dremel cleaning out all of the passages that have gotten corroded, as well as all of the corrosion on the block itself. I'll post up pics of that when I get around to doing it.

Here's a shot of Piston #1, you can see clearly where the exhaust valve smacked the piston if you look closely, or you can cheat and look at where the arrow I provided is pointing.

Here is a side by side comparison of the M52 rods (left) versus the M50 non-vanos rods (right). Believe it or not, the M50 rods are quite a bit lighter than the M52 counterparts and are also visibly quite beefier. The M52 rods are made using the cracked cap method rather than having a rod and cap that are cast seperately. The cracked cap method is cheaper to manufacture, probably why it showed up on the 323 engine (sorry shahab).

This closeup shows the retention ring that holds the wristpin in place. I just stuck a pair of needlenoses in there and pulled it out. Getting it back in is harder, but I did it one half of the ring at a time and that worked well. there may be a special tool to do this, but fuck if I'm patient enough to find it.

Well that's it for now, I'll update this thread once I've honed out the cylinders and I'm ready for reassembly. In the mean time, the conrods and pistons are off to the machine shop to get balanced.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
good stuff dude. im suprised how much corrosion is in those cylinders. but all in all the most suprising thing is the comparison of the non vanos rod

#3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
The M52B25 rods fucking suck.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
man those M52 conrods are complete trash lol...i feel bad for all you M52 folks, if you are reading this and have a M52, and need a rebuild soon, throw those away!!!!!!!!!

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
Well I certainly didn't know that either. Ya know, without you guys I would've never known how good non-vanos can be.

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
#6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Any input on m52b28 rods?

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:15 AM
Retired administrator

(Thread Starter)
no idea, haven't seen them. I would hope they would be much better, but I highly doubt it.

#8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 02:35 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
no idea, haven't seen them. I would hope they would be much better, but I highly doubt it.

#9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Retired administrator

(Thread Starter)
well given how they cheaped out on the 323 motor, it would make sense that they may cheap out on the 328 motor as well. Maybe not though. The rod length is the same as what I'm using.

Essentially from what I can tell, the M54 was built based on the S52 crankshaft used to stroke out the narrower bore M52b28 to make 2979cc displacement. I'm working with a slightly different formula, which is S52 crank and M50 non vanos rods (same length and were cheaper, and possibly beefier, don't know about that) with M52B25 pistons that have been decked to a height to produce an 11.5:1 compression ratio (or thereabouts), as opposed to the M54 pistons which are slightly shorter than the 328 pistons, but end up producing the same compression ratio of 10.2:1.

I'm going to run off of a turner chip for an E36 M3 using an E36 M3 cylinder head and camshafts, and using a set of Ireland Engineering headers on an E36 M3 midpipe with a stock E36 M3 exhaust. All in all, it ought to resemble an S52 that's been OBD I converted in terms of power output, so around 235whp, depending on how much difference 200cc makes versus how much difference 11.5:1 makes. Let's say between 230whp and 250whp.

#10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
I'm going to run off of a turner chip for an E36 M3 using an E36 M3 cylinder head and camshafts, and using a set of Ireland Engineering headers on an E36 M3 midpipe with a stock E36 M3 exhaust. All in all, it ought to resemble an S52 that's been OBD I converted in terms of power output, so around 235whp, depending on how much difference 200cc makes versus how much difference 11.5:1 makes. Let's say between 230whp and 250whp.
Now thats what im talking about...those are some impressive NA numbers

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
so how much do u think u will be making a the crank?? around 290??? How would corrosion get in there??? Do i need to worry about that

#12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

theruss1an1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to theruss1an1
You have a PM.

-Serge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's