??? of the Day!!! Are all Bimmers Created Equally?? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
FAQ's and DIY's frequently asked questions, Do it yourself project how to's. and important information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
??? of the Day!!! Are all Bimmers Created Equally??

Are all Bimmers built in Germany? Where was yours built? You can get the info, from the tag inside d/s door or the engine compartment!!!!

This is in regards to subframe cracks on certain e46's!!!

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 11-12-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Z3's and Z4's and X3's and X5's are built in South Carolina. Some E39's were built in England. Some models are also built in South Africa. Otherwise I don't know.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know my 97 e36 328i was built in Germany. I found this info on the vin tag inside the drivers door. In my opinion, it matters. I use to work for Toyota in Port Newark, NJ as an installer,& we use to get Camrys built from Japan & Camrys built here in USA. The cars built in Japan were much better quality, meaning they used better building materials such heavier gauge metal & plastics. Maybe when you buy a NEW BIMMER you need to find out where it is built first. I think they are manufacturing BMW's outside of Germany these days. Something to look into!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Only a select few models are manufactured outside of Germany. M3UOND named these. As for the ones built in SA...that was i believe the 7 series. there was a thread within a thread about it here a whiile back, but if memory serves me, that was the e32

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
mine was built in regensburg, bavaria, germany
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
#7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
^^^ i attempted that, but had no success.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:45 AM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
that's a hell of alot of bmw plants.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsanders82
that's a hell of alot of bmw plants.
Not enough.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 PM
n00b

jeppcharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jeppcharts
Rejuvinating an old thread.....

X3's are built by Steyer in Austria, although production will be shifting to SC in the next version. Also, China has a factory that produces a streched 5 series.

R. Eric Dawson
'02 X5, '97 528i, '03 Z4
Member BMW CCA
#11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppcharts
X3's are built by Steyer in Austria, although production will be shifting to SC in the next version. Also, China has a factory that produces a streched 5 series.
Uh, no they arent. SOrry but all x series suvs are built in spartanburg, SC. even ones currently driven in germany are manu'd in the good ole US of A.

Same with z series cars.(old and new)

also the south african factory used to produce e30 335i's that were powered by the m30 motor as used in the e28 535is.

SA makes lots of sa specific market vehicles, some of which were pretty cool, but the e30 mentioned above was my favorite.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
n00b

jeppcharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jeppcharts
You stand corrected. ;-)

I am sitting here looking at the window sticker for my 2005 X3 which says:

Final Assembly Point: Graz, Austria

Country of Origin:
Engine: Germany
Transmission: France

X3 assembly will move to South Carolina in the next version. At that time the Z series will go overseas.

Here is the link to the Spartanburg, BMW factory. It confirms that X6 and X3 production will be moving there shortly: BMW Manufacturing Co.

I don't know alot about the other factories, but I research my own cars extensively.

R. Eric Dawson
'02 X5, '97 528i, '03 Z4
Member BMW CCA

Last edited by jeppcharts; 02-01-2008 at 12:23 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
bow
3rd Gear Member

bow will become famous soon enough bow will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bow
my 7 was built in deutschland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
"drag racing a BMW is like fishing with a hooker...fun but not what you got her for..."
#14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Neutral Member

pinnaclebass is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pinnaclebass Send a message via Yahoo to pinnaclebass
X6 and 1 series are to be built in america. BMW saving money and fighting inflation from dollar vs euro<<opening up a new plant in north america or expanding on old one. this worries me, German designed and built = better machine...hence volkswagon german designed built/ assembled in MEXICO<< quality shows.
#15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Mine was made in good old germany. My other car (mazdaspeed3) was built in japan and I have heard and seen bad quality in mazdas built in the states so I'm very happy to have one that wasn't made here.

Pinnacle the us isn't mexico, having BMW produce cars in the states for us allows them to hedge their bets and helps us to get a product that is cheaper due to less exchange rate risk and I haven't heard any bad press about the quality of the US produced BMWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > FAQ's and DIY's