Spun 328i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 12:59 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
komodo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My friend has had an E46 325i for a while now, and constantly used to hear me talking about the bmw i planned to get sometime. I recently (finally) got a 97 328i. I love that car so much. Anyway, a few days after I got it, we found an old road and decided to see who's car was quicker. We drove down the road once to check for cops, and turned back, lined up, and took off. From the very start, I had a lead on him. I was probably a few hundred feet in front of him as we hit 100. There as a turn coming up that I underestimated. I began to turn, and slowly saw the car begin to spin. Looking to the left out of your driver window and seeing the car moving straight in that direction at 100MPH is the scariest feeling in the world. After 180 degrees, I got control of the car, and skidded to a stop, completely backwards on the road. I immediately opened the windows to let the smoke out so I could breathe, and heard his faint laughter in the distance. That ass. Luckly I didn't hit a curb or that car would have been very short lived. The skid marks on the street lasted for weeks, and look like a twist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:21 AM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
good call keep it under 100 mph next time.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
learn to hold the slide and make it a drift. Mad style points.

I raced a truck down a serious hill and took a good bit sideways (the primary turn doing down Cantrell Hill in LR). The girl in the passenger seat was most impressed.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:27 AM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Jul 16 2004, 01:05 AM
learn to hold the slide and make it a drift. Mad style points.

I raced a truck down a serious hill and took a good bit sideways (the primary turn doing down Cantrell Hill in LR). The girl in the passenger seat was most impressed.
nice el pres, I'd always wanted to rip through that section but hardly ever a good idea, either too much traffic or too many cops. My personal best though was only a couple blocks from the down town police station. That turn as your on cantrell about to be in downtown next to the JC Pennys office place. If your leaving down town you go over that little bridge. Useing both lanes there I did it at 65 mph in my ole' celica.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:31 AM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
Well that happen to once during the winter when there was black ice on the road. Otherwise I know my cars limits during curves and turns.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Defector

I'm trying to think of the turn by JC Penny. Don't remember it is downtown. There's one in between Dillard's HQ and Cross St thats fun.

I hate most of the bridges down town. One night not long after I moved there I was coming back from NLR and took the Main Street bridge.

I was also hitting every red light along the way. By the time I hit the bridge I was trying to beat the light right at the bridge and forgot the southbound entrance is a block over. For those of you not familar with LR, the bridge does this /\ on the northern shore entrance/exit. I drove a good ways up the wrong side of the bridge before realizeng what I had done. Luckly it was late and there was no traffic.

And the trick to going sideways on Cantrell Hill is to use both lanes and drive down the center while trying to break the end loose. If you try to go for the apex you'll come to close to wall and hit it unless you're spot on. It also helps if you hit the light at Kavenaugh to let traffic clear up, and its past 8 or so.

PS you've also got a PM.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
#7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Jul 16 2004, 01:22 AM
I'm trying to think of the turn by JC Penny. Don't remember it is downtown. There's one in between Dillard's HQ and Cross St thats fun.

I hate most of the bridges down town. One night not long after I moved there I was coming back from NLR and took the Main Street bridge.

I was also hitting every red light along the way. By the time I hit the bridge I was trying to beat the light right at the bridge and forgot the southbound entrance is a block over. For those of you not familar with LR, the bridge does this /\ on the northern shore entrance/exit. I drove a good ways up the wrong side of the bridge before realizeng what I had done. Luckly it was late and there was no traffic.

And the trick to going sideways on Cantrell Hill is to use both lanes and drive down the center while trying to break the end loose. If you try to go for the apex you'll come to close to wall and hit it unless you're spot on. It also helps if you hit the light at Kavenaugh to let traffic clear up, and its past 8 or so.

PS you've also got a PM.
yeah maybe its the dillards. If you keep going on cantrell from where you were talking about towards down town, you go through the light that goes to the river, pass the cathedral school on the right the dillards or whatever building on the left then that sharp right turn. Only I did it coming outta down town, so it was a sharp left. Scared the shit outta the guy riding with me. I loved it though. Also got a great story about turning into the Wendys at Markhamn and Shakleford... but thats for another time.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 AM

oh yeah, hijack!!!!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 02:03 AM
Defector

what, hijack? no.

the best Markham/Shackelford story I have is a toss up. This bitch I hate had her probe totaled there in the rain, but I was also coming home from work one night and passed PKs when the cops shut it down as the rice hangout.

#10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, last night I was going pretty quickly (not in a race, but following someone in an e46 325i). Our average speed was upwards of 90. The road had some bends, and whenever I hit one which you wouldn't have thought very much of, I felt like the car was about to start spinning. You know that feeling where you feel the wheels start to slip a bit and the steering is wide. I knew if I hit the wheel an inch farther I would have begun spinning. That happened on almost every turn and I'm wondering is that normal for all cars because of simple physics, or if I upgrade my suspension (like a stage 3 dinan) would it help me stick to the road and have better control on high speed turns so I don't spin again?
#11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 04:08 PM

well I have nothing else to do so i'll post my story. ok I had just gotten outta school, (this was 2 full school years ago) and I had to be back by like 4:30 and it was about 4 (I went to parkview) so me and a friend wanted to get some wendys and then get back. Traffic is a biatch this time of day, so we had to hurry. Well I'm coming up on the Wendys at Markham and Shackleford on Markham and I'm gonna be taking a left doing about 50 mph in my ole 92, cleica Gt, struts and good lowering springs, I see I don't really have time to slow down and take the turn, so I downshift to 2nd with revmatching and turn the wheel about 45 degrees, the entrance to wendys: you turn and it immediately goes steep down hilll for about 10-15 feet and the another 90 left at the bottom of that "hill" so I turn the wheel 45 degrees, let off the gas turn the wheel more three wheel the celica, car starts to kinda slide turn wheel more and the back end starts the sping with 1 wheel in the air, turn the wheel back right an barely make the second left into the actualy parking lot. The whole time my friend is screaming. He wanted to call somebody to come get him and drive him back to school but then I reminded him that we didnt have time for that. So there we go. I stil got one more celica story... I need to start getting BMW stories though.....
#12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Defector

I have a one wheel story. I was going down old forge and took the right onto the one way when it banks left toward rodney parham. 2 other people in car...scared em good.

#13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 10:46 PM

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Couple days ago I was going around this huge s curve. It's uphill and banked, and the turn before it is smaller but can be taken way faster. So anyway I passed a tractor cause I was pissed to get stuck behind it, and I looked ahead to see if there were cars. No cars , good, take the turn at like 70 with the back end singing (singing tires are happy tires) apex coming out of the turn and I look ahead, there's this black tahoe coming straight at me. So I let the back end settle and back into my lane. No biggie though cause they were going 30, like the yellow signs suggest.

Kevin (President TBEA)

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
#14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 01:02 AM

(Thread Starter)
Any ideas for increasing my traction and control on turns like I described/asked above?

Thanks
#15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 01:28 AM

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Fit some fatter tires on your car. Go for a higher performance tire. Play with sways, play with tire pressures. Tons of stuff, have fun

You're worried about spinning again, understandable, fear keeps us safe. Tire pressures make a big difference, putz with those a little, i got like 47 in the front and 40 in the rear. Plus it's free, can't beat that.

Kevin (President TBEA)

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales