BMW Werkz banner

Need Advice...careless Driving

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  d3ity 
#1 ·
Ugh, well here's how it goes. I'm 16, i've had my license since December, and i've been itching for spring to come so I can get into Autocross. I've been practicing by using various parking lots, but only when they're empty, and only when there's no chance of someone getting hurt due to my actions. Well tonight, luck wasn't on my side, and two of Michigan's finest helped me realize that. I was behind the building where nobody parks, doing a run on a track I created in my head. When I realize that i've got one police officer coming up on me from the front, and one coming up on me from the back.

I turn off the car, set the keys on the dash, and keep my hands on the steering wheel so they realize i'm not gonna pull out a gun or something, and then i've got one of them screaming at me to step out of the car. I get out, he tasks me how old I am, and then asks for my license. After that, it was basically just him telling me that I was "Driving like a cheesedick", a "bat out of hell", and then he told me he was going to give me a Reckless Driving ticket, which would get me 6 points. That's about where my knees gave out. I've had my license for like 3 months, and I am gojng to get 6 damn points on my license. Ugh. He told me to get back in my car, and then he went and wrote out my ticket. He comes back, and says "Well I went a little easy on you, and I let you off with a Careless Driving Ticket" Careless Driving is 3 points.... Now I know that I should just bite the bullet, but is there any possible way that I would be able to plea bargain my way out of 3 points on my driver's license. I've heard that insurance doubles with 3 points, and that's a LOT of money. Is there any way I could argue that I was doing it to better my defensive driving skills. I know it sounds rediculous, but since i've been practicing in parking lots, I seriously feel a lot more confident with my driving, and i've noticed that i've been correcting, and paying a lot more attention to what my car does on the road. I can kind of tell when something's not feeling right, and with the snowy weather we have here, experience is a good thing to have. It just seems like it would be a different story if I was doing this stuff on the road, which i'm not.

But if I can plea bargain, what should I do? Offer to go to a driving school or something? I'm new to this, and advice would be appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think you can get points anywhere... may be wrong I don't know! I am sorry to hear about your ticket man, that is dumb. The only fighting chance you might have is if you were on private property. A cop can not do shit, the only way to get busted on private property is for the owner of the property to press charges. If your folks know about it, which I assume they do, try talking to them. Or try talking to a lawyer, they are always eager for a fight! What kind of parking lot was it? Local mom and pop shop or a super store like wal-mart?

I don't even think a cop can bust you for something if they see you do it on private property!

#5 ·
Points exist across the US as far as I'm aware. They are removed automatically after 3 years on your license.

As far as plea-bargaining, I would try my luck with the judge, explaining the situation and the defense you provided to all of us. In the future, it would help to have permission of the parking lot owner... since your driving was done on private property, the cops would have no legal beef.

If all else fails with the judicial system, I would go over their heads and speak with your insurance adjustor, face to face. Explain the situation and offer something to counter the points, such as the defensive drivers course... and then I'd recommend putting a priority on maintaining a squeaky clean record for 3 years.

#6 ·
id plea if i were you, and try and be as convincing as possible, then at that point you can suggesting things and hitting them with it(fight fire with fire) "you guys are always talking about how teens get in accidents and such for driving wrecklessly, i was in a perfectly harmless situation trying to better my handling capability incase of an accident, and when i try and do so, i get 3 points on my lisence"

my friend had 36 points on his lisence in indiana, then came to CA and got it cleared witha new lisence because idiot at the counter(stupid girl) didnt ask all the right questions and just gave him a new lisence SWIPED CLEAN!!!! i know your going to say "omfg bs" but it isnt..

#8 ·
Originally posted by Hootie361@Mar 23 2005, 10:17 AM
Points exist across the US as far as I'm aware. They are removed automatically after 3 years on your license.

squeaky clean record for 3 years.
[snapback]317005[/snapback]​
NOPE no points in TEXAS baby :rock course we also have drive though liqour/cigarette stores, the death penalty and are allowed to carry guns. :yezfunny

We do have a system though about DWI and DUI. you dont want one in texas! we are not leneant on people for that which is good. Two and you lose your license i think. and the fines are outragous. I think they just passed a law that makes you pay a fine every year if you are a serious offender. not cheap it's like $5000 or something. i dunno cause i don't drink at all so no probs here LOL.

Good luck with your ticket though.

Chant :bimmer

#9 ·
Take pictures of the area of where you driving, particularly on an "empty" day and especially if it really is a parking lot. Then show the pictures to the judge and say you were practising driving and chose an area that safety was not compromised. Then make sure the address on the ticket jives with where you were. Write down everything that happened now, then say in court you wrote everything down immediately after police left - this is important.

Next check the ticket for errors. Make sure everything, EVERYTHING, is correct, including date, time, driver's license, plate number, etc. If any errors, asked judge to have ticket quashed.

Book a time to go to court and show, even if you are guilty as sin. Occassionally cops don't show. If cop doesn't show, ask to have your case dismissed - the judge will.

Do not book a court time and don't show up. One time I went to court and the cop didn't show. Everyone in court had their cases dismissed by the judge. Everyone who booked time, but didn't show were found guilty.

In your plea say the point of your practising in a safe area was to make you a safer driver. Say to the judge that the penalty for the points as affecting a 16 year old discrimates against a younger driver, that perhaps you should have been 'thinking" more, but your intentions were honourable. Sometimes the judge will like your arguement, find you guilty but with a reduce sentence. So the judge might say, you'ree guilty, pay a one hundred dollar fine, I'll wave the points, etc.

#10 ·
^^^

While those are all good ideas, you need to be leary of running into a judge who want's to 'teach you a lesson.'

After all, a 16 year old, in a 'fancy' car driving like a 'cheesdick', doesn't reeek of respoinsibility.

#12 ·
no points in MA ether. points system is stupid if you ask me.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Chant+Mar 26 2005, 11:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chant @ Mar 26 2005, 11:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hootie361@Mar 23 2005, 10:17 AM
Points exist across the US as far as I'm aware.  They are removed automatically after 3 years on your license.

squeaky clean record for 3 years.
[snapback]317005[/snapback]​
NOPE no points in TEXAS baby :rock course we also have drive though liqour/cigarette stores, the death penalty and are allowed to carry guns. :yezfunny

We do have a system though about DWI and DUI. you dont want one in texas! we are not leneant on people for that which is good. Two and you lose your license i think. and the fines are outragous. I think they just passed a law that makes you pay a fine every year if you are a serious offender. not cheap it's like $5000 or something. i dunno cause i don't drink at all so no probs here LOL.

Good luck with your ticket though.

Chant :bimmer
[snapback]318656[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I don't think IL does points, but we have zero tolerance with DUI - you have one and you lose your license. I don't know about fines, but you just lose your license.

#15 ·
Relevant info I just found. Doing 27 over the speed limit in NY is 6 points plus a fine. If you're from out of state, there's a chance it won't show up on your driving record or increase your insurance rates. NY has a program to remove up to 4 points from your license... PA, as I've found yet, has none.

Nothing like first-hand knowledge, huh folks? :banghead

#16 ·
Originally posted by Hootie361@May 2 2005, 10:01 AM
Relevant info I just found.  Doing 27 over the speed limit in NY is 6 points plus a fine.  If you're from out of state, there's a chance it won't show up on your driving record or increase your insurance rates.  NY has a program to remove up to 4 points from your license... PA, as I've found yet, has none.

Nothing like first-hand knowledge, huh folks?  :banghead
[snapback]340131[/snapback]​
can't fine you if you are on private property. you dont legally have to stop at stop signs posted in parking lots as long as they are private property.

i'm not saying not to follow posted stop signs, but i was in private security for 2 years and i know that cops couldnt do shit on our property unless I let them. even when they had a call one time that there was gun fire on our property, cops couldnt even come on site unless i okayed it.

jurisdiction, which in this case, the cops shouldnt have.

if you were driving like that on a street is one thing, but a parking lot is COMPLETELY different.

unless of course, the owners of the lot called in the complaint, and press charges.

and alot of times, when friends of mine in law enforcement do shit like that to harass teens, they use lines like "i let you off easy..." so you dont press your luck/press the case as hard as you would if they tried to hit you for 6 points.. when they know they dont have a case..

i realize this is like a month ago.. so what happend?

#17 ·
Originally posted by The Deuce@Mar 26 2005, 10:59 AM
^^^

While those are all good ideas, you need to be leary of running into a judge who want's to 'teach you a lesson.'

After all, a 16 year old, in a 'fancy' car driving like a 'cheesdick', doesn't reeek of respoinsibility.
[snapback]318792[/snapback]​
hahahahaa, what the hell is a cheesedick anyways, I'm definitely gonna have to use that one =D.

#18 ·
in PA theres a points test, removes 2 points from your record the second you pass it.

Problem is you have to actually lose your liscence for going over points with it.

#19 ·
Originally posted by d3ity@May 5 2005, 08:14 PM
in PA theres a points test, removes 2 points from your record the second you pass it.

Problem is you have to actually lose your liscence for going over points with it.
[snapback]341288[/snapback]​

In virginia two moving violations if you are under 18 and you lose your liscense for 90-110 days. I lost mine after a speeding ticket because i was being the DD and my friend pushed my foot on the gas. Another for running a red light because the brakes failed on my old truck.
Cant argue that brakes failed or else they hit you with faulty equipment and wreckless driving.

#20 ·
Cant argue that brakes failed or else they hit you with faulty equipment and wreckless driving.

Wow. Thanks for that info! that was gonna be my excuse if i got caught speeding/ running a light, bad brakes, going in tomorrow.

heh, time to think of a new one. Although, there is another way to deal with a ticket if you are heading home..

Officer, My apologies, but i think i left my gas on... I gotta get home and make sure its off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.