BMW Werkz banner

My 1st & 2nd RACE on NJ Pulaski Skyway!!!

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  docrobot 
#1 ·
YO!!!! My hands are still Shaking!!!
Tonight I was driving back to Brooklyn (dropping my Mom home) along the 1 & 9 South a popular local NJ route. When at one section, right before the Pulasksi, It got really dark and there was only 1 or 2 cars around me. I'm cruising 60 mph in the slow lane when this ugly "vitaro izsuki (ugh)" jeep with bright white beams speeds by me a settles a few feet in front in the passing lane. All of a sudden a pair of bright HIDs pull up right to my rear bumper and switches like lightening zooms up to the Vittaro thing and switches back in front of me and dissapears in less 4 seconds over a hill that we were approaching. It was a 330 xi (prob 2004). So The vittaro speeds up and I'm like no way. I floor my pedal and zoom up to 70 then 80, go by the vittaro, at 90 I caught up to the 330xi, still in the slow lane ahead of me, and I switch lanes and zoom up to him at like 95 mph. My Mom sees what I'm doing but only watches because the road was so damn smooth so it felt like I was gliding. Soon we come up to a set of windy curves where the 1 & 9 north becomes a series of exits and then merges into the Pulaski Skyway. We go through like 3 or 4 sets of sharp curves and I'm neck and neck with him (a grey hair guy) until I see him look over at me and curves off onto one of the exits. I keep zooming onward but at 75 mph now. The Vittaro appears, cheap whites blinding me from behind, so I switch back to the slow lane. Now we are ascending the ramp onto the Skyway, a dark industrial designed, two lane overpass that goes over a long stretch of routes and highways below for about a mile or so).

The Vittaro speeds by me in the fast lane, as I'm settling back in to my 60-70mph pace, when I notice a set of e36 halogens in my rear coming up fast behind the vitaro. It's a black 325i (at the time I thought it was a M3 Coupe). I'm like no way, not again! So I speed up pass the vitaro at 80+ mph. The 325i switches from behind the vitarro and comes after me right to my rear and switched back cutting the poor vitarro off to pass me in one easy move and literally dissapears into the darkness ahead before I know whats happening. The Vitarro starts coming up and I'm bugging out so I gas my 318i all the way. When I get to 100 mph! I can see the black 325i. At this point the section of the two lane skyway is getting busy and the 325i is switching between cars. I follow until I reach it. Then I noticed I'm being followed by a set of xenons. Another 3 series, this one white, is speeding up to catch me! The black 325i must have slowed down because I caught up at 95+ mph as we exited off the skyway ramp (which becomes 3 lanes briefly before turing into a two lane under pass/tunnel that goes on for another mile or two) I get right up to passenger side of the black 325i and notice a head move, not sure if the driver was checking me out. But then the white 3 series switches from behind me and comes fast up in the lane to my right and an Asian kid looks at both of us smiles and zooms by. From behind I could see it was a white E36 328is. When I looked ahead I saw my lane (in the middle) was merging with lane the black 325i was in and I had a ACURA in front of me about 20-30 ft. I figured I could speed up to 100+ mph and switch to the left lane cut the black 325i off before the lanes merged and floor it again to pass ACURA and the white 328is (if that was possible).

What happened next was unbelievable!!!
I hit 110 mph and and switch behind the ACURA and got in front the black 325i , right as the three the lanes became two, and I'm neck and neck with the ACURA who must have seen what I was doing because he speeds up and stays a few feet in front of me. I look forward as I floor it again sailing by the ACURA and I saw the white 328is briefly before it disappeared around a sharp curve that I didn't see coming. The sharpness of the curve caught me off guard and I, being an amateur, slowed down to under 90 mph :banghead .
Seeing this advantage the ACURA speeds up and switches in front of me. The black 325i speeds up and passes both of us. I switch over and follow it staying behind it all the way until we could see the 328is. The dude in the ACURA must have been like "WTF" :wtf when we zoomed passed him at 100+.

I stayed right behind the 325i for 40 seconds or so before we reached the white 328is and a few other cars that were slowing down for a traffic light at the end of the tunnel. When we got out of the tunnel at another traffic light I managed to pull up on the drivers side of the black 325i. Inside was the cutest girl I've ever seen in a BMW talking away on her cell phone (the whole time). She couldn't have been more than 20 but she drove like a motha! Then the ACURA pulls up in the lane on my driver's side (after the under pass/tunnel the lanes merge with 5 or 6 lanes that continues towards the Holland Tunnel) and this older guy in there is looking at all of us and shaking his head. In fact it felt like everyone who was pulling up to the light was looking at us. My Mom asked me if I was trying to total my car by impressing some girl. I just said I was getting money's worth. :driving

Anyway, tonight I realized a few things:
1) My 318i is a damn good car.
2) I gotta learn to drive her like a pro or at least a teenage girl chewing bubble gum and talking on her cell phone whiles switching lanes at 90+ mph!!!
3) It's also how you drive not what you drive. That white 328is was fast but had I manueverd better around that ACURA I could gotten along side him and at least keep up.
4) Vittaro's are UGLY!!!! If you drive one, please push it into the nearest lake, river, swamp .
5)I don't like ACURA's or MAXIMA's or ALTIMA's or RICED OUT HONDAs, in fact I don't like anything that tries to drive and act like a BMW or racing car off the race track!!!
6) BMW are the MOST fun cars to DRIVE!!!!! The best I've ever driven!!! :rock

See less See more
#2 ·
HELL YES MAN!!! haha dope story bro! :D

#4 ·
Originally posted by KwlAznKid@Sep 19 2004, 03:24 AM
holy shit sounds like fun =)
It was!!! Scary though!!! I want to sign up for a defensive drivers course and probably practice my turns at 100+ mph at the old airstrip out by Gateway Recreation/National Park nearby in Brooklyn.

I can't believe that girl owned me while chatting on her phone!!!

Attachments

#9 ·
:nono

Am I the only one who thinks he could have killed himself and his mother, not to mention other drivers?

I do suggest taking that defensive driving course to see just how stupid that childish stunt was. :eek:uch

Seriously, it only makes sense to do this kind of high speed driving alone in the car. I mean, your mother already has enough to give you a hard time for already, right? :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.