BMW Werkz banner

Late night ride home

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gbf1lm 
#1 ·
So, I was an hour past curfew already. I decided to use my skills to the test. I know the route home like none other. It's about 4-6 miles worth, and its a mix of neighborhood, road, and highway. I did it in 4 minutes. Except for the stop signs, I never went below 45. I've noticed that double-clutching really helps my old car get into gear! Now keep in mind that its 1:50 am, so nobody was in the neighborhood. I know this neighborhood quite well, so I knew nobody would be out. Just thought I'd throw that in there... Anyway, I get on the highway, and I'm already going 60 as I get off the on ramp and I've already pre-dusted a huge SUV, and then before I know it I'm at 85. I hold 85 for the next two miles I'd be on the highway, just in case any cops were coming. Now, if any of you live in the Raleigh, NC area, you know that as you're getting off of 540 at the last exit, Triangle Blvd, its completely straight and empty. So, midway through the last curve I drop it into 4th and floor it. I slow it down a little because I see a car... ...Not a cop--no way that they would turn around anyway, the median is too big! I go back to flooring it. I'm at 80. I hit the bridge and I'm at 110--I hold it there. I have plenty of rpms left, but I have to slow down for the exit ramp. I keep it at 110, and then apply a little brakes to slow it down. Here's where I made the poorest move: Its a sharp turn at the end of the off-ramp, and I know the max speed I can take it is about 50-60. The whole ride I've been downshifting and double-clutching it (too ease the stress on the synchros), but this time I didn't think to get it in 2nd in time, so right before the turn I stick it in 2nd real quick and turn in sorta off balance. I had major understeer, so I lifted off a little too abruptly and caught a little lift off oversteer. But I just went with it and powerslided a bit of the turn. It wasn't all that bad of a maneuver, but it wasn't what I was planning so it caught me off guard. Besides, the roads are a bit damp for some reason--probably because of this odd weather here in NC... 72 in Januarary wtf. Anyway, I hauled ass the last mile home. Snuck in the door... I go upstairs, get situated. But, I thought I heard my parents rustling. I quickly tell my Mom that we were watching a movie, and that I'm sorry I'm late. I woke my Mom up saying that (I didn't know she was asleep). She then realizes what time it was. FUCK! All that tough driving to realize that she would've never known! :thud But, it was worth it. Besides, I won't be in trouble anyway... I do this all the time.

See less See more
#2 ·
haha good job. i try not to speed exessivly on the way home bc tons of cops out for drunken kidz. but sometimes it jsut hapens im like 70/5th and thers not much traffic and bam i find myself doubleclutchin' to third and few secs later 100+. one time i heard i siren but then it was just the radio commercial for a bail bond company. haha. and my moms dun go sleep untill i get home. she liek sleep onteh couch and then when i get home i wake her up and she goes upstairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.