Just Found My New Pasttime! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW@JMU is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
The other day a friend and I went a few miles outside of school to a bunch of incredibly curvy back roads. He and I both drive our own cars and we plain and simple haul ass through the country side. We take turns leading because the roads are so narrow but its great fun. He drives a reasonably modified rx-7 so his car handles quite well. But mine has a great torque advantage over him. Whenever going up hills I can pretty much take him but he can get me on turns and straight-aways. I used to autocross in high school for and electric vehicle team but those things don’t have near the power as a combustion engine. I now understand the incentive for a new suspension.

Since I’m on the topic, what would be a good suspension for an ’85 325e for the wallet of a college student? I want to be able to leave him in the corners.

-1985 325e - 5000 RPM's of Fury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 PM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
sweet..sounds like fun. Just be carefull..but have fun. (GO fast...just watch out.)

I know nothing about suspension..but maybe try bav auto?

#3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Well it depends on what you want, sway bars are quite possibly the most effecitve upgrade you could make and you can pick up a set for a couple hundred $. Just get the know the roads before you do anything real crazy out there.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member

john_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
BMW@JMU

Hey whats goin on. I too am a Duke Dog. Kinda a small world isnt it? anyway im not too familiar with suspension ungrades for your car. ive got a black 318 is if u ever see my on Port Republic. Nice to see some locals using this website. GO DUKES

Alpine White 328 IS, Pioneer Head Unit, Jensen Band pass box, debaffled air box w/ K&N filter, supersprint exhaust. clear corners and side markers, More to come....
#5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I think I know the roads decently well. The main thing to watch out for is Mennonites driving horse-drawn carriages. But other than that the roads are pretty empty and a lot of the turns are banked. Thanks for the concern.

At first I was thinking of just getting springs and shock, but a friend of mine put a full suspension on his golf gti, which had sway bars included. Man did that stiffen up the ride. I almost want to be able to handle like him. But for now all I could possible afford is some springs and shocks. Does that do much?

Hey john_18! I drive a white e30…if I see you on Port I’ll wave.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 PM
5th Gear Member

Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
could always try lowering your ride for faster cornering..

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Quote:
what would be a good suspension for an ’85 325e for the wallet of a college student
A high performance driving class on how to handle your car better will benefit you more then buying parts.

as my mechanic always said:
"you gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing the nuts on the car"

this is 100% true.

That is all.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I was taught a decent amount from my auto-xing team in high school, so I at least know how to take apexes and little about braking. I would really love to take a class for a weekend though. However, without any suspension upgrades, my car is stilling going to roll like crazy.

#9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 07:54 PM
n00b

hitman2045 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hitman2045
look for am H&R cup kit or H&R lovering springs with bilstein shocks
#10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 10:33 PM
n00b

SynSyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SynSyx
dinan sells different levels of suspension upgrades, usually including shocks and springs, for most models

Alpinweiss 1989 BMW 325i Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales