BMW Werkz banner

I also got pulled over, hah

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bitcore 
#1 ·
Hell........ I got another traffic ticket... I think this is my 5th or 7th one, not sure, It's the first one that wasn't a speeding ticket, (although that's why he pulled me over). Story is below, at the end are my questions. Skip it if you want.

[STORY]
I pull out of my friends street after hanging out for a while after watching collateral (great movie), I roll down 90 yards to the stop sign to the road that takes me back into town. I see a car coming going my direction plenty of room + time to pull out. Like a moron, because I wasn't paying too much attention, (I always try to get myself into my 'driving' mode where I'm constantly looking for cops) I pull out and gun it because I was feeling a little emotional and do a feint move to see if I could get my ass a tiny bit loose. I glance down and see the spedo hit 60, look in rearview mirror and see the oncoming car's headlights and I'm like "wait a minute..." I let off the throttle as if I was just accelerating to get out of the way of the oncoming car and glance at the speedo again, I hit 70, and begin to decelerate to 45 mph, the road's speed limit, as If I just needed the speed momentarily to get out of the way.

Just as I hit 45, blue lights flood the trees, the road, my car's interior, and subsequently, my retinas. My mind instantly shifts into a state that can only described by the word: "fuck." The "Woop.. Wooop..." of the siren reverberates off of the trees and houses in the classic urban police siren fashion, as if the bright lights weren’t enough to wake the neighbors.

I pull off onto the first side street and keep my hands on the wheel, in plain view. I know, walking up to a car you just pulled over in the middle of the night, anything can happen, so I let the officer know that I'm not a threat by keeping my hands in plain view the whole time. He asks for the usual, I give it as politely as I can, he turns around and starts walking to his car and like a flash of lightning, I realize my scanner is behind my seat in the cargo net, with the ONLY frequencies that are programmed in being the police radio frequencies in my city. I knew, if he came back and saw that, he'd ask to see it, and I'd need to oblige as to be polite. I'd be shunned for using a scanner with police frequencies in memory while mobile. So, in a panic, I slyly get the scanner and start emptying out the banks of memory while he's doing his thing in his "Police Interceptor...." (as I check the banks again now, I see I only erased about 6 out of 12)
I toss it back into the rear floorboard and wait for him to come back, thinking through what other illegal crap I had in my car. Nothing, thank god - a search would be fine with me at this point, I try to keep my car rather empty of everything.

Well, the guy comes back and says, "son, you were going really fast back there, it was really hard for me to catch up."
Ok, I've heard this from every police officer\state trooper that has pulled me over where I blew by them or they were behind me to begin with. Maybe they are trying to instill this thought in my mind that I'm capable of getting away, so they have a reason to slam me with a HUGE violation of some sort? I just pulled in front of him and kept accelerating to 70, then started slowing down again. He was never more than 40 yards away....
"But, since you were polite I'm not going to charge you for speeding. What I have done is charged you with not looking before turning out onto the road. It's a 100$ court cost and 25$ fine."

Which indeed he did. I left and as soon as I pulled into a driveway to turn around to go home, I remembered that my right brake light as been on the fritz and randomly deciding that it doesn’t want to illuminate anymore. Even worse, it may freak out while the guy is following my back towards home and he'd have a reason to pull me over again. Thank god it didn't.

This whole time, I was on the very edge of a cliff with a ton of shit at the bottom. I could have been busted for the scanner, he could have taken me to jail for going almost 30mph over the limit, he could have nailed me with reckless driving because I peeled out and almost broke the backend loose RIGHT in front of him, broken taillight could have gotten me, he could have checked my record and saw the previous convictions of speeding my ass off on the highway, I don't remember if I had my seatbelt on the whole time, (and I certainly didn't when he came to the car, it was obvious. I always say I was wearing it.) my lawyer could have missed a court date on one of my active tickets and there could be a freaking warrant out for me again. (I missed one court date for 78 in a 55, that sucked) He could have called my mom again like this other cop did, that would cause me to loose my car for a rather long time.

I've had speeding tickets reduced on the field by immediately pulling over, being polite, and ALWAYS keeping my hands in plain view without any sudden movements. A teary eye and an expression of shock is a good front as well to see if you can manipulate the officer's emotions ;)
[/STORY]

Now, if you skipped the story, here's my question: :p

On the ticket, this is checked: "10. By failing to see before turning front a direct line that such movement could be made in safety. G.S. 20-158" What the hell does that mean? It's not "failing to stop at a duly erected stop sign" I have no problem paying the fine, I don't want insurance going up. He says it's a warning... I'm not sure what this means.
All I care about right now: insurance premiums... Would it be worth getting a lawyer for this? whatch y'all think?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.