cops and 120MPH - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: 99 323i ragtop
Photos:
SpooldUp will become famous soon enoughSpooldUp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SpooldUp
cops and 120MPH

So I've had the 323 for a few months, and I'm returning home to NY from western pennsylvania. Bought new tires/rims about a month ago, so they are broken in. yay, *me thinking* Hmmm, i should drive 120 on this 3 lane uphill stretch. */me thinking* The car actually surprised me achieving 120 in 5th gear quite quickly. Man was my intake screaming as I got a pretty constant 8MPG according to the gauge. Now on the downhill side (of the hill as well as the story) - I spot a cop once halfway down the mountain (not sure of my speed here but it was no less than what I had been traveling at the summit). Now, I DID NOT want to use the brakes above 100 for fear of warping the rotors, but quickly calculated the monetary difference of replacing 4 rotors (with performance ones, mind you) and paying a ticket for 120 in a 55 (big $$ in NY state). OEM brakes work moderatley well at this speed. I almost passed the Sherrif however I was never stopped so I will consider it lucky.

My brakes are good, but I did check the pads and they are nearly to the sensors. Inspection II is 1 green bar away.

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"

SpooldUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
68th gear and shifting

Car: a lot of broken ones
Photos:
superdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
so your lesson is --- don't speed if your breaks are f***ed up!

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
superdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Warping the rotors eh ? I've never heard of one instance where this happened from one quick stop from a high speed.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
" Now, I DID NOT want to use the brakes above 100 for fear of warping the rotors, but quickly calculated the monetary difference of replacing 4 rotors (with performance ones, mind you) and paying a ticket for 120 in a 55 (big $$ in NY state)."

Shouldve calculated the antiderivative of the curve and gotten the are under the curve to find the exact point at oh shit nevermind u just got pulled over.

LOL but I love how you "quickly calculated," especially for OEM rotors.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Always been good at math.

Actually I just said "Fu<k" and mashed the brake pedal.

I'll be buying the Zimmerman kit off ebay next spring. Folks seem to have good luck with it and it is sub $400.

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

Old 11-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
When I did my 160 run in Germany, I kinda eased off the brakes and then put steady pressure on the brakes to slow down for my exit, as we were approaching it VERY quickly. I told this to my parents (I'm 27, but my parents still think I can't drive), and they said, "oh, that's smart, hit the brakes at 150-160, you're going to flip the car". Well, obviously it didn't flip, because I'm here!! I tried explaining that ///M3's are a practically a streetable race car, and they still wouldn't understand.
Point is, I don't think that warped the rotors. Why do they warp? used: I haven't had too much experience, and there are way too many conflicting stories on what will and won't warp your rotors. It's out of our hands.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
To warp the rotors, you need to really hit the brakes hard AND be going at higher speed. At high speed if you are nice on the brakes, they may not warp. But even at low speeds, jamming on the brakes can cause warping - it's a combination of both heat stress and pressure (so also how long you've been using your brakes and how fast they cool also change up the variables n stuff). At least, that's how I understand it.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
trs998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to trs998
I've never seen brake disks (rotors to you americans) warp from high speed braking. My 318 E30 I did two crash stops from 120-or-so in quick succession. The first was fine, the stock solid disk brakes were fading a little one the second. These were about 3 miles apart (the idiot in a merc e-class pulling out in front of me, and suddenly pulling off without indicating)

The damage from this was all 4 brake pads (cheap-ass Jurid pads) failed - cracked.
One subsequently blew it's surface off, causing total brake failure - that was fun!

Anyway. I know you can warp them through overheating, which isn't mch of an issue with one stop from 120. Racing hard on a track I would expect serious brake fade before the disks warp.
The main cause of warping I find is people coming into the pits after racing on a track day and holding the footbrake or handbrake (emergency brake in america?) on as the car sits for a few minutes. This means the disk cools unevenly.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trs998
I've never seen brake disks (rotors to you americans) warp from high speed braking. My 318 E30 I did two crash stops from 120-or-so in quick succession. The first was fine, the stock solid disk brakes were fading a little one the second. These were about 3 miles apart (the idiot in a merc e-class pulling out in front of me, and suddenly pulling off without indicating)

The damage from this was all 4 brake pads (cheap-ass Jurid pads) failed - cracked.
One subsequently blew it's surface off, causing total brake failure - that was fun!

Anyway. I know you can warp them through overheating, which isn't mch of an issue with one stop from 120. Racing hard on a track I would expect serious brake fade before the disks warp.
The main cause of warping I find is people coming into the pits after racing on a track day and holding the footbrake or handbrake (emergency brake in america?) on as the car sits for a few minutes. This means the disk cools unevenly.
Yep, in retrospect I dont think it hurt anything.
lol in my friends mustang, a brake pad fell off once. Made a terrible grinding noise. Turned out the clips were just loose!

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

Old 03-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
I have new brembos that work for the e36, x-drilled, front and rear. Never used them. bought them for the z3, but realized the 1.9l and the 2.8l both have different rotors and i got the ones for the 2.8(e36 325/328), not the 1.9l.

I'll unload them cheap. They are zinc washed, too.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Rear vented discs? I need rear vented discs.

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

Old 05-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 Infiniti I30
Photos:
KSE36M3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsbeaker
When I did my 160 run in Germany, I kinda eased off the brakes and then put steady pressure on the brakes to slow down for my exit, as we were approaching it VERY quickly. I told this to my parents (I'm 27, but my parents still think I can't drive), and they said, "oh, that's smart, hit the brakes at 150-160, you're going to flip the car". Well, obviously it didn't flip, because I'm here!! I tried explaining that ///M3's are a practically a streetable race car, and they still wouldn't understand.
Point is, I don't think that warped the rotors. Why do they warp? used: I haven't had too much experience, and there are way too many conflicting stories on what will and won't warp your rotors. It's out of our hands.

haha yea....just find an excuse to get them in the car....take em out and pull 110 (just to be nice) and see how they react. haha
KSE36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Devinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to behold
Pumping the brake pedal helps, along with downshifting, at higher speeds. Gives the rotors/pads time to cool off for a few fractions of a second before you use them again.

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Devinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
thejobman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thejobman
Hell, I took my '02 Mustang drifting before selling it last year and even after 3 VERY HOT laps, my rotors where still fine. FYI 99-04 Mustang GT's have VERY crappy brakes, and I was literally flooring the pedal every time I hit the hairpin... still the only thing I noticed was that my check engine light went off lol, but it turned off on its own later that night (thank the lord).

BMW brakes are light years ahead and will not warp over one time stints such as the one described in your post. Hot lap or race weekend after weekend and that is a different story!

1999 BMW 540i 6-speed - M Sport Package

CHECK OUT MY RIDE @ CARDOMAIN.COM!
thejobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
braking hard in my experience at high speeds isnt what makes the rotors warp... it depends on how hot the brakes get... and they warp when you brake hard (brakes heated up) then you let the car sit like in park... that lets the brakes cool un evenly because the pads and calipers are still hot so they are still heating the rotors and the rest of the rotor is cooling... you shuold roll the car back and forth with in a couple feet so that the rotor never settles in one spot at a time until the brakes cool down... also a cool down lap of barely using the brake at slower speeds is also a great way to let the air blow on the brakes and cool them...

just my 2 cents...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales