British BMW Driver Follows Sat Nav To Cliff Edge, Darwin Loses - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aimee is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
British BMW Driver Follows Sat Nav To Cliff Edge, Darwin Loses

British drivers have blindly following their navigation systems before, but Robert Jones took it to the extreme, driving his BMW 5-series down a rocky path before a fence barely stopped his plunge off a cliff.

The 43-year old Brit was heading for a friends home near Todmorden, West Yorks when the system took him down a steep and treacherous footpath. His mindless progress stopped as his car hit a fence planted at the edge of a 100 ft cliff which Jones would have probably happily driven off if his navi had told him to. On his He-Man scale feat of stupidity, Robert said, "I just trusted the satnav. It kept insisting that the path was a road even as it was getting narrower and steeper. I rely on my satnav, I couldn't do without it for my job. I guess I'm lucky the car didn't slip all the way over the edge. But it has been a bit of a nightmare."

Enlarge photo

Locals gathered during the nine hours it took for a crew to pull the car from its predicament, no-doubt snickering at the idiot in the BMW the entire time. We're betting the car ended up rather worse for the wear considering the terrain here. As a result of his boneheaded adventures, Jones got slapped with a careless driving charge and will be most likely be given an honorable mention in this year's Darwin Awards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
That...is amazing.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Awards goto the following people:

The Driver for being an idoit and thinking he can drive on that and that satnav is god.

The guy who set up the map that said you could drive there, that man was probably waiting for this day and went out to celebrate how stupid this guy was for going on his fake road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
What a genius that guy is: you're heading down some narrow path which you're fairly certain is not a road, but you trust your sat nav to go fast enough to not be able to stop when you realize it's not a road ... wow, just wow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales