BMW M-Roaster vs Mustang Cobra - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Trevize will become famous soon enoughTrevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
BMW M-Roaster vs Mustang Cobra

So I never thought I'd be posting here. I tend to avoid any kind of street challange. I'm more then happy to invite any one trying to come out to a BMW CCA or SCCA club racing event and try their luck there....

However... I'm zipping down this road outside Boston where it is 4 lanes wide, 55 MPH and has stop lights. Fun little road cause the lights are timed such that no matter how fast or slow you go you will get stopped at the lights. Lots of fun for a M-Roaster that really likes to accelerate.

And.... up comes this convertable Mustang Cobra (top down and so is mine) radio blasting and some tuner emblems on the side. I notice right away his license plate. "RACEYA". I'm like gee.. bet this guy gets no tickets with that plate! So there we are at a stop light both in front and the light turns green. I zip off. Not in "race type style" but quick as I like to do on this road. He obviously had not taken any notice to this "very small" little BMW next to him. But I bet he heard my quad exhaust in this Dinan S1 M-Roaster. So now we are at the next stop light. His radio is OFF and he's pumping that gas peddle revving up his mighty V8.

I'm like ok.. Fine. I'll do this, but, the cut off is 65mph and I'm hitting the breaks. He says, "Fine, you can look at my break lights then!" I shout out, "oooh you're confident, how about when I turns green I give you a 1 count head start". He laughs and says, "ya whatever!".

You can see what's likely coming.... so anyway, light turns green and I count "1 1 thousand". He's a car length up and chiping the tires. By time I hit second gear I am even with him. I hit 3rd and my nose is passing him. I hit fourth and I am completely ahead and eeeeekkk 70 mph. I hit the breaks and slow down to 55mph.

We come to the next stop light. I shout out. "What happened, I gave you a head start!" He shouts back, "what the hell is that little car!" I tell him "with a license plate that says "RACEYA" you should go visit the BMW web page and lookup "M" cars before you challange them to race ya! Have a nice day!" The expression on his face as I passed him was truely priceless. Racing a Dinan M-Roaster buddy. what are you thinking!

And we drove normally from there... :-)
Trevize is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
s52 or s54?

good kill.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Car: 2008 Infiniti G35
Photos:
Ivan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
what year/body style cobra?
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
S52 M-Roaster (1999)

Mustang Cobra. Not sure on year. It wasn't the new model. Model just before the current.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
I almost bought a GT a while back. $2,800 a year for insurance being 17... my 328i cost about $1700... Now I know why!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
Ivan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevize
S52 M-Roaster (1999)

Mustang Cobra. Not sure on year. It wasn't the new model. Model just before the current.
this body style?

Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
this body style?

Wouldn't that be two models ago?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
nice kill! haha i love driving those little M's... my uncle has a m coupe, and that thing is fast as hell and as nimble as a go cart! which i had some myself!
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
Wouldn't that be two models ago?
well the new cobra isnt out yet. besides the 03 and up cobras are absolute monsters. do you really think an m couple could take one? it seems doubtful. it could have been one of the 99-02 320hp cobras also i guess.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
this body style?

Yep. That's the one. So 2 models ago.

I sure know my Mustangs
Old 05-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
So this thought prompted me to go look at the new SVT Cobra

Ford's 690 hp SVT Mustang Cobra -
That severe traction problem keeps the Mustang from setting any quarter-mile records. We recorded a best run of 12.8 seconds at 120 mph, and our best 0-60-mph time was 4.7 seconds.

And for reference:
Stock 1998 BMW M Roadster 5.1
Stock 2002 BMW M Roadster 4.5

Mine is a 1999 M Roaster with:
Dinan Stage 4 Engine Software; Cold Air Intake; Free Flow Exhaust; High Flow Throttle Body; High Flow Air Mass Meter Package. So I'm somewhere inbetween those 2 times if I was a pro-driver =P
Old 05-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
What happened to the roadster between 1998 and 2002? I assume they switched M engines?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
What happened to the roadster between 1998 and 2002? I assume they switched M engines?

Yes in 2000 they got a nice new bigger motor. Which when looking under the hood of mine is hard to imagine something bigger in there.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMW Kraft is on a distinguished road
You have this car???
Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
No, he has a M Roadster. That's a M Coupe.

M roadster:
Attached Thumbnails
BMW M-Roaster vs Mustang Cobra-bmw-m-roadster-rear-1280x960-medium  

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales