3251 Vs. Volvo s70 T5 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 2002 BMW 745Li
Photos:
Eraj is hated around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to Eraj
3251 Vs. Volvo s70 T5

Hey Guys,

I was coming back home after dropping off my buddy, hit the 401 @ around 1 am, and there's this white 3181 - E36 going west. Kinda pulled up, as I look at Bimmers, having just sold mine a few months ago, and the young punk just gunned it like there was no tommorow. No finesse, no walking, no waiting to make eye contact, just punches it like a whore. listen, I like and respect Bimmers, I will buy one again in a heartbeat, but this is a 130hp, 4 banger, trying to run with a 236 power turbo charged Volvo. In short, I smoked him like a baby, he didn't even catch up on the twisties leading to airport road off of 409 (for those who know Toronto)

Eraj
Eraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Maybe it's having a 318. I don't know, but when I had my 318, I drove like a monkey as well. Hmm.
Maybe it's like compensation.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraj
Hey Guys,

I was coming back home after dropping off my buddy, hit the 401 @ around 1 am, and there's this white 3181 - E36 going west. Kinda pulled up, as I look at Bimmers, having just sold mine a few months ago, and the young punk just gunned it like there was no tommorow. No finesse, no walking, no waiting to make eye contact, just punches it like a whore. listen, I like and respect Bimmers, I will buy one again in a heartbeat, but this is a 130hp, 4 banger, trying to run with a 236 power turbo charged Volvo. In short, I smoked him like a baby, he didn't even catch up on the twisties leading to airport road off of 409 (for those who know Toronto)

Eraj
Well known there, you mean Dixie road....... lol
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
lol, you are a braver man than I. I would never drive a T5. Not because it's a Volvo and not because it's not pretty fast, but they have more soooo much trouble. I trust my 170k 4 banger more than I would trust a T5.

Oh yeah, i also drive like a "monkey"... I guess that means fast?
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
OK, So you want to talk reliability here? As i said in my post, I had a 94 320i for about 2 years. Here's what my reliability experience was.

1. Plastic water pump died the first month. (replaced thermostats as well)
2. Fuel pump died about the 3rd month.
3. Radiator started leaking, probably as a result of stress due to water pump failure, and had to replace.
4. Replaced final stage unit on blower motor.
5. Front shocks and mounts had to be replaced.
6. Plastic pulley broke on a sunday evening in Montreal (600km from home), had to tow car, stay in a hotel, missed work, paid $490 to a rogue dealer to replace with belts.
7. Replaced driver side window regulator myself in -15c weather in an unheated garage.
8. Replaced at least 10 brake light bulbs in 2 years.
9. The blower motor sounded like a bee was in there the whole time.
10. The radio crackled out.
11. Could not get the back of the drivers seat to warm up at all.

These are the things I can remember off the top of my head. This was my 6th car, and the Volvo is yet give me ONE SINGLE PROBLEM!!!!! I've driven it only for about 3 months though. Listen, I may have been unlucky and got a lemon. As I said, I like Bimmers and will buy another sometime soon, but never an older one!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
theKid: Driving "like a monkey" in the previous comment was meant to describe the driving of a car faster than you should. Like, it's okay to go 100mph in my m3. It's not okay in the 318.

Eraj: Sounds like bad luck to me. My '95 318 I drove for 2 years, 60k miles. I've only had one problem - a radiator leak. And that was due to an accident. I was in three accidents in that car, none my fault. And yet, no problems!

Granted, I think the replacement of brake lights on e36's don't count as problems so much as a rite of passage. It could be a lot harder to replace those things, but BMW was nice and knew they had a problem and made it easy for us.
And I am also considering bad ball joints/control arm bushings to be a matter of normal wear and tear... especially if you drove like me...

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 10-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Agreed, I may have had bad luck. Guess what, I don't really abuse my car. I do open her up now and then, but don't drive like a "monkey". But look at my range of problems, it's all over the map, save power train. Did I not mention both engine and tranny oil leaked?, and as we all know, it's fun to fill a Bimmer's tranny fluid without a hoist.

Anyways guys, for now, I love my volvo and it's smooth ride, and all the 236 horses under the hood. It's got all the gadgets I want, and I prolly paid 10-15k less than I would have for a similarly equipped Bimmer. Still, if I could have afforded it, I would have bought a NEW Bimmer. If all goes well.......
Old 10-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Agreed, I may have had bad luck. Guess what, I don't really abuse my car. I do open her up now and then, but don't drive like a "monkey". But look at my range of problems, it's all over the map, save power train. Did I not mention both engine and tranny oil leaked?, and as we all know, it's fun to fill a Bimmer's tranny fluid without a hoist.
Out of curiosity, did you get that '94 new? constant oil leakages could be a sign of bad break-in; so if you got it used, maybe someone else abused it.
Or it could just be gaskets :P

I've never driven a volvo, but wouldn't mind taking one for a spin. Very open minded yah.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Quote:
OK, So you want to talk reliability here? As i said in my post, I had a 94 320i for about 2 years. Here's what my reliability experience was.

1. Plastic water pump died the first month. (replaced thermostats as well)
2. Fuel pump died about the 3rd month.
3. Radiator started leaking, probably as a result of stress due to water pump failure, and had to replace.
4. Replaced final stage unit on blower motor.
5. Front shocks and mounts had to be replaced.
6. Plastic pulley broke on a sunday evening in Montreal (600km from home), had to tow car, stay in a hotel, missed work, paid $490 to a rogue dealer to replace with belts.
7. Replaced driver side window regulator myself in -15c weather in an unheated garage.
8. Replaced at least 10 brake light bulbs in 2 years.
9. The blower motor sounded like a bee was in there the whole time.
10. The radio crackled out.
11. Could not get the back of the drivers seat to warm up at all.

These are the things I can remember off the top of my head. This was my 6th car, and the Volvo is yet give me ONE SINGLE PROBLEM!!!!! I've driven it only for about 3 months though. Listen, I may have been unlucky and got a lemon. As I said, I like Bimmers and will buy another sometime soon, but never an older one!

That's great that you have had a good experiance so far with the T5. I was helping my sister find a car and thought of volvo. Everyone loved the cars (especially the T5), but 75% (roughly) complained about reliability. I'm not saying that BMW's are the hallmark of reliability, but from what I've read, they are usually much better. They sound like fun cars, good sleepers...
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
I didn't buy my 94 320i new, so it's quite possible someone treated it bad before me. Yet, things like water pump, fuel pump, window regulator, seat warmers are not things that can be abused in a car. I can understand tranny and engine issues as a result of a hard life though. The thing is, for those 2 years, I was constantly handling some issue with the car! It drove me nuts, I like to fiddle with cars, but also need to be able to drive them with peace of mind.

As for the Volvo, The only thing I miss is the handling of a Bimmer. Other than that the car is very satisfying. Just to reflect on this, here's the features and what I like about the T5. (I think all T5's come equally equipped)

1. The turbo power - 236 hp, and 143 torque, very well distributed throughout the ranges.
2. Shifting is very smooth and effortless.
3. Comforts - Leather, heated 3 way memory seats - Power one touch moon roof - tilt/telescopic steering column - full trip computer - am/fm radio with in dash cd player and 6 cd changer in the trunk - power/heated mirrors/windows/antenna etc, dual climate control with auto settings, traction control etc.
4. The ride - Not as sporty as a BMW, but quite firm. Cornering is not the best though.

I have installed a remote starter with intergrated turbo timer, so no sitting in the car to cool down the turbo.

Again as I said, if all goes well I will sell the Volvo in a couple of years and buy a newer Bimmer, or keep this as my regular driver and get a e36 to play on the week-ends with, so I can afford to spend time on it, do a few mods, and not worry about getting the car finished in time to go to work.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
Yeah, get some roll bars or tower braces, and maybe some front struts, and that volvo will handle fine.

How's the torque difference? I prefer NA over turbo, so when you said "well distributed" it made me think... So the lag is either non-existant or bearable... Interesting... I have to take my head out of my butt before I can acknowledge Forced induction

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 10-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
LOL....I know what you mean about forced induction, I was pretty skeptical too. But if you look at the numbers, lag is not exactly a problem. This is only a 2.3litre engine, but torque is 243 at 2100 rpm, which is just off idle for heavens sake! never felt any delay (I have a quick right foot?) between push and BAM!!! I guess it's a light/small turbo unit?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
EH?!? Oh - you must have typoed earlier - you said 143 in a previous post. I was thinking that that was a huge gap... But if it's 243 at 2100rpm, no complaints there! For a light turbo... Hmm... It makes me wonder what that engine runs hp/torque-wise without the blower.
Hum...
Things that make you go hmmm.... Current Volvos

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 10-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
ooooooooops...my mistake...it's 243. The s70 NA runs 168 horses and 162 torque. Let me tell you, that's not enough power for that car, as Volvo's are pretty heavy machines. I drove a s70 manual without turbo, and it was much much slower than my car.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
Wow. So you're talking a 50% gain, without lag. That's quite impressive! Hmm...

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales