1997 M3 Vs 1999 Corvette :) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Driving Tales Talk about your driving stories in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MadBMW is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I don't know what the stats say, but yesterday I had 99 corvettte pull up next to me. I wanted to find out how I would hold up. I have a 97 M3 with 100K and no mods. I thought that he would blow my doors off. I stayed neck and neck with him till 70 and then I had to let off to let him over. I was impressed. It was so cool to see both of us with engines screaming. I think that the guy was pissed since he probably didn't see the M3 badge on the back, and thought that it was a normal 328, LOL

2002 Bmw X5 4.4I
1997 Bmw M3 3.2L
1988 Sunbird Eurosport SLC 5.7L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:38 AM
n00b

BMWBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MadBMW@May 23 2005, 04:27 PM
I don't know what the stats say, but yesterday I had 99 corvettte pull up next to me. I wanted to find out how I would hold up. I have a 97 M3 with 100K and no mods. I thought that he would blow my doors off. I stayed neck and neck with him till 70 and then I had to let off to let him over. I was impressed. It was so cool to see both of us with engines screaming. I think that the guy was pissed since he probably didn't see the M3 badge on the back, and thought that it was a normal 328, LOL
[snapback]347202[/snapback]
Well, I am a new owner of a M3, and a former owner of a 99 Corvette and a 03 ZO6. If you have a 6 spd I definitely believe your experience against the '99, especially if it was an auto. '99s run 0-60 in high 4's (standard) and low 5's (automatic) stock. When 2 cars are roughly comparable, so much rests with the driver. Make no mistake that the ZO6 is a different story. ZO6's are animals. My ZO6 would have blown the doors off my '99 without batting an eye.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 10:57 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Agreed that. Corvettes are awesome animals at a stoplight race. Meow. It makes me happy. That an m3 can come close to one just makes me shake my head with wonder.
A corvette is the only american car I'd consider (although if things continue as they're going, I might change that opinion).

EDIT: Should this be in the "Driving Tales" thread?

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Nice kill. I really would have seen the Corvette drivers face

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by dutchbmw@May 25 2005, 01:12 PM
Nice kill. I really would have seen the Corvette drivers face
[snapback]347769[/snapback]
Hey P,

Yeah the driver was not to happy.
Now that I think about it, I bet it was an auto, seeing as when I let him over black smoke came out the exhaust when he kicked it down after he saw me slow down. I would have love to have your motor, I would have smoked him, LOL

Nice new sig P, when is your ass coming over the big pond?

2002 Bmw X5 4.4I
1997 Bmw M3 3.2L
#6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by MadBMW@May 26 2005, 06:00 PM
Hey P,

Now that I think about it, I bet it was an auto, seeing as when I let him over black smoke came out the exhaust when he kicked it down after he saw me slow down. I would have love to have your motor, I would have smoked him, LOL

Nice new sig P, when is your ass coming over the big pond?
[snapback]348016[/snapback]
*Sorry, off-topic:
August 27th until September 24th!! I'm sure I gonna like it. We start our trip in Toronto, driving to the east heading for Maine (rafting etc), then we'll go south (Boston, New York, Washington D.C.) and driving in a loop back to Toronto. I don't know sure if we have time for visiting Chicago and surroundings..... Any tips for museums, points of interests, good clubs are welcome!

USA is tha bomb

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
Quote:
#7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by dutchbmw+May 26 2005, 02:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dutchbmw @ May 26 2005, 02:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MadBMW@May 26 2005, 06:00 PM
Hey P,

Now that I think about it, I bet it was an auto, seeing as when I let him over black smoke came out the exhaust when he kicked it down after he saw me slow down.* I would have love to have your motor, I would have smoked him, LOL

Nice new sig P,* when is your ass coming over the big pond?
[snapback]348016[/snapback]
*Sorry, off-topic:
August 27th until September 24th!! I'm sure I gonna like it. We start our trip in Toronto, driving to the east heading for Maine (rafting etc), then we'll go south (Boston, New York, Washington D.C.) and driving in a loop back to Toronto. I don't know sure if we have time for visiting Chicago and surroundings..... Any tips for museums, points of interests, good clubs are welcome!

USA is tha bomb
[snapback]348109[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I will be in Rochester new york on sept 23 and 24. I'll probably just miss you.

Hey I was looking at your sig and noticed the ///m3 logo on the top and started to laugh. I took a picture of my and the logo reflects what is in front of it. I can see something in the reflection on yours, LOL

2002 Bmw X5 4.4I
1997 Bmw M3 3.2L
#8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Can't see what you mean actually It's not a picture I took btw, got it from internet!

September 23 and 24 we're back in Toronto, it's a 8 hour trip from NY to Toronto so we need our time. I will move to the USA whenever I got my greencard!

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
Quote:
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:23 PM
5th Gear Member

zeaq has a spectacular aura about zeaq has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to zeaq Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
Quote:
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Jun 2 2005, 11:26 AM
. I will move to the USA whenever I got my greencard!
[snapback]349551[/snapback]
You will be selling ur M3??Or shipped it there if you ever moved to the states.

My BMW 328i- AC Schnitzer Spoiler, Blaupunkt Stereo,Angel eyes(CCFL), M technik Lower Lip.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
#10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by zeaq+Jun 2 2005, 08:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zeaq @ Jun 2 2005, 08:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dutchbmw@Jun 2 2005, 11:26 AM
[snapback]349564[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

It's in my thoughts to take the car with me, but I don't know if it is possible yet (emissions tests) and what the shipping charge will be.

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
Quote:
#11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by dutchbmw+Jun 2 2005, 04:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dutchbmw @ Jun 2 2005, 04:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by zeaq@Jun 2 2005, 08:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-dutchbmw
Quote:
@Jun 2 2005, 11:26 AM

[snapback]349564[/snapback]
It's in my thoughts to take the car with me, but I don't know if it is possible yet (emissions tests) and what the shipping charge will be.
[snapback]349621[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Forget the car, just strip the motor and ship it over. When can find you M3 with a lot of miles and the full leather package and not that crap that you have. Then drop the euro spec into it and it would rock In Madison, wi there is no emission testing

2002 Bmw X5 4.4I
1997 Bmw M3 3.2L
#12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

FREDPLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FREDPLT
That doesn't surprise me at all. My friend has a Z06, 2001 I believe and I have a 98 M3, and in the corners he is mine, but on the straights is the only time he gets me, and it isn't by much, it gets up fast, but by the time we hit 100 he isn't destroying me, though he is in front. The most important part is all driver skill, but with a few mods any car can be fast.
Glad to see the e36 M3s are still representing!

1998 Cosmos M3
1986 Silver 735i
2000 Gold Tahoe Z71
#13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 06:22 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by FREDPLT@Jun 9 2005, 08:32 AM
That doesn't surprise me at all.* My friend has a Z06, 2001 I believe and I have a 98 M3, and in the corners he is mine, but on the straights is the only time he gets me, and it isn't by much, it gets up fast, but by the time we hit 100 he isn't destroying me, though he is in front.* The most important part is all driver skill, but with a few mods any car can be fast.*
Glad to see the e36 M3s are still representing!

[snapback]352011[/snapback]
You're probably just a real fine driver Fred and/or heavily moded (which perhaps you are). I've had both cars. If it's a ZO6 you're talking about, they pull much higher lateral g's compared to the M3. Should mean he's much better in the corners if drivers are apples to apples. ZO6s are right at 1.0. The 2001's had 15 less hp (390) than I had in my 2003 ZO6, but would still blow an M3 away unless the M3 is heavily moded. The ZO6 is about 1000 lbs lighter with more hp. Now a non-ZO6, especially an automatic, is different. My M3 could hang all the way.
#14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

FREDPLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FREDPLT
Actually we look at our registrations, and I weigh exactly 382 pounds more than his car, then again, I alos weigh 40 pounds more than him, do the math. It may be driver skill, but I have driven that Z06, and regardless of how good its lateral Gs are, a track I can see, but On a road those damn fenders look so big and so close to the guardrails that the uneasyness sets in and you tend to back off. I feel like in my M I can attack the road more and it will respond, plus I don't see a fender sticking into my view. That being said I can still hang with most Z06s, cause they are far ahead of their drivers potential, until I hit the straight, then I watch them run away. At least that's what I tell myself
I'm not too modded, not for hp, but I have increased my rwhp with a light weight flywheel, plus a chip, cold air intake, and my new corsa exhaust I am about to put on. I have a few other goodies as well, but soon I have decided to maybe go with a new intake manifold and a cam, plus throttle body and mass air flow sensor. I am told I can get around 300 hp NA. Thats the goal. Do you miss your Z06, if you have the E46 M3 I am told they are very close in most aspects, and with the SMG the vette doesn't pull away very much. My budy does have the 385 horse engine, but I don't see why anyone would need more!

1998 Cosmos M3
1986 Silver 735i
2000 Gold Tahoe Z71
#15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:47 AM
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by FREDPLT@Jun 10 2005, 02:52 AM
Actually we look at our registrations, and I weigh exactly 382 pounds more than his car
Fred you are absolutely right and I am wrong. I hate to be the spreader of misinformation. The figure I looked at had to do with the maximum loaded weight, not the true weight of the vehicle. Yea, sometimes I miss the ZO6, but I like the M3 better every day. IMHO the difference is night and day - the ZO6 is much rawer, more rear on the concrete sports car feel. The M3 is tighter, truer in the turns. Both amazing vehicles.

Here's a pic or two of the Vette if you're interested...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Driving Tales