Am looking for help in san diego area with car audio - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Regional Forums > California
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

California Peeps from Northern/Southern Cali.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1998 Z3 1.9
Photos:
BigDJ4 is on a distinguished road
Smile Am looking for help in san diego area with car audio

Am looking for some help with my Z3. All I have now is a tape player and it just dosen't sound good at all. So I am wanting to upgrade my sound system. First of all circut city is saying that they are going to have to re-wire my car...thats an extra 150 bucks and what do they need to do that for anyway? I have done a couple of head units in american cars and its really not that hard just a plug-in adapter you have to buy. I am going to be buying a cd player probably this one (Panasonic In-Dash CD Player (CQ-C8303U) and the Metra radio wiring harness, and the metra vehicle wiring harness and the antenna adapter, do i need both of those wiring harnesses? Also I would like to upgrade the speakers all around. I am willing to drive just about anywhere if someone is willing to help me with this project. Lunch and drinks are all on me. Either BBQ food and beer or the red lobster dosen't really matter. Thanks for your time. Email= Loften316@yahoo.com
BigDJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
well, first off welcome to the Werkz. Second, any former stealership employee, as well as any former electronics store employee, can tell you that "rewire" is just a way to hit you for more $$. I've put stereoes in everything from an e30 BAUR TC to a '06 Mercedes Benz. The crossover harness is nice, but if it doesn't come made to vehicle specs, just use bullet connecters on the existing wiring to insure a replacement of the factory stereo if the time comes to part ways with the vehicle.

Process is simple. First use the female ends of the bullet connectors on the existing wiring. Then on both the factory stereo and the aftermarket headunit , use the female ends. Then install the male ends on the wiring harness of the new headunit and the wiring harness of the OEM stereo. This way, if and when the time comes to switch the new headunit to a new vehicle, it is simply plug and play.

Dave

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
I used a Metra kit for my wifes Ford.
bought it at circut city clairmont.
Worked great. $79 plug and play
complete dash panel with all heat AC defrost controls etc
not easy but, can be done, took all day
I agree, thier parts and service are way overpriced.
Way cheaper from crutchfield.
But takes time.

Complete Sony system in a box from Walmart $98
Sony Xtreme
CD head unit 180 watts I think?
2 6.5" 2-way door speakers
2 6x9 3-way rear deck
Kicks butt for under $200
Almost as good as my last $2000 system, just needs a subwoofer.
No longer need low pass filters, high pass filters crossovers, etc, all done in the head unit. kool

I havent done my E30 yet. Sway bars take priority. LOL

good luck!

PS BMWCCA autocross at qualcomm end of month 31st.

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Regional Forums > California