BMW Werkz banner

Report: Next BMW M5 to Get Aluminum Chassis, Carbon Body and F1-Style KERS System

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BimmerE39 
#1 ·

With the launch of the new 2011 5-Series, the debut of the M version of that car is fast approaching. There have been numerous rumors about the new model and the folks at Bimmerfile have attempted to separate fact from fiction to give us an idea at just what to expect.

First, we can all but guarantee that the V10 has been eliminated in favor of a twin-turbo V8 setup similar to that found in the both the X5 M and X6 M. With well over 500-hp and more than 500 ft-lbs of torque, this new engine will deliver usable power at almost any rpm, as compared to the old V10 that needed to be strung out to 8000 rpm.

Along with cutting out weight from the engine, the F10 M5 is likely to get an all aluminum chassis, as well as carbon fiber body panels to help keep it light on its toes. A carbon fiber roof will be optional.

Finally, the M5 is expected to get a state-of-the-art Formula One-derived KERS regenerative braking system. The KERS setup will reportedly store electric energy created under braking and then allow the driver to access that power via an F1-style button. This momentary thrust is expected to be quite noticeable and should help the twin-turbo V8 deliver close to 600-hp for short bursts of time.

More: Report: Next BMW M5 to Get Aluminum Chassis, Carbon Body and F1-Style KERS System on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#4 ·
I honestly don't like the direction the M division or BMW is going these days. I understand that emissions and fuel consumption are factors that are thought about when designing/building cars but at the end of the day it seems like there's no imagination left. It's almost like BMW is going the way that Mercedes AMG used to be and Mercedes AMG is actually using engineering like BMW used to (I know that was an over-simplification but it's how I feel in a nutshell.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.