Report: Next BMW 5 Series Getting Two Hybrid Engines, Including a Hybrid Diesel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
administrator will become famous soon enough administrator will become famous soon enough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Report: Next BMW 5 Series Getting Two Hybrid Engines, Including a Hybrid Diesel

The next generation BMW 5 Series will be offered with not just one, but two hybrid powertrains.

According to the BMWBlog's company insiders, the two hybrids will follow two very different paths, with one using a similar setup to the ActiveHybrid 7 Series and the other following in the footsteps of the X6 ActiveHybrid, but with a 3.0-liter diesel V8 in place of the X6's V8. That being said, it's unlikely the diesel motor will be sold in North America.

Design wise, the next 5 Series is expected to look smaller, to help differentiate it from the large Audi A6 and Mercedes E-Class. To help achieve this goal it will use an elongated version of the twin-kidney grille.

As for the rest of the design, it is still a mystery, but it is expected that very few of the 5 Series GT's body panels will be used on the standard 5 series.

BMW also plans to make the vehicle lighter than its predecessor by using new processes to manufacturing the chassis, while using lighter materials for things like the water pump and transmission case. In addition, aerodynamics will be improved though a new wheel design that will cut down on drag at speed.

We expect to learn more about the upcoming 5 Series at next month's Frankfurt Auto Show.

More: Report: Next BMW 5 Series Getting Two Hybrid Engines, Including a Hybrid Diesel on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
That looks horrible to me, the front looks like an SUV. I just don't like it.

#3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 PM
n00b

boosted475 is on a distinguished road
WTF? Is that like a "tweener"....between a sedan and station wagon? Things just get worse every generation. The front 3/4 is not too bad, but the rear....jesus.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure it will grow on me like every other new BMW; well aside from the X6 - that one is still hard to digest.

#5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:27 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
horrible. BMW should instantly fire all of its design staff.
Even ol' Bangle was better!

#6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Lightweight materials in areas like the water pump and the transmission, eh?

Yay. More plastic water pumps to explode just like on the M52.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > BMW News