BMW Werkz banner

Report: BMW to Bring Back M1 Exotic Based On Wild Frankfurt Concept Car

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·

BMW will resurrect the M1, basing the new exotic car on the Vision EfficientDynamics Concept, which debuted at the Frankfurt Auto Show. The car will hit the market in 2012 says the U.K.’s AutoExpress, keeping much of the concept car’s green technologies, while offering performance to rival the Audi R8.

The car will be geared towards performance with a two-plus-two seating arrangement. It will also (says AutoExpress) get a 3D heads up display.

The 1.5-liter 3-cylinder hybrid powertrain will also be used, making roughly 350hp and 590 ft-lbs of torque, allowing the car to hit 60 mph in under five seconds. A drag coefficient of just 0.22 cd is expected thanks to a setup that will see air directed through the front bumper and out of the front wheel arches – something that will also improve stability at speed.

The new 1.5-liter engine is also expected to be used across BMW’s product range, helping to brand the company with a new environmentally responsible image.

More: Report: BMW to Bring Back M1 Exotic Based On Wild Frankfurt Concept Car on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#3 ·
This new direction BMW is heading is kind of blah to me. The car might have good performance (in theory) but what the hell is the point of building this car?

It's like BMW with the new X5M and X6M, they missed the bandwagon with Porsche and Mercedes years ago. What the hell is the point in developing a super SUV at this point in time? To me it's a waste of money and in general a bad idea.

Furthermore, why does it matter for BMW to compete with the R8? It's been a few years already since the R8 has hit the road. What potential profit or market share can BMW take away from Audi to make a difference. It's not like the development of the R8 was a secret. Shouldn't BMW have developed an R8 rival years ago if they really wanted to rattle some cages? To me this is a publicity stunt that won't really garnish any publicity.

Just my $.02. I'm sure others feel differently on the matter.

#4 ·
I think it is just some 10 year olds at heart having some fun personally. Top Gear quote, can't remember which of the fellas said it, "At the heart of every man who buys a supercar is a 10 year old," and I think that translates to this. It might not be a great move at this point but it might play out, who knows. What it boils down to for me is, hey they can make it and if they wont too then let them. The M X5 and X6...now that has actually worked out since VW isn't going to have Porsche do anything but sports coupes now, but it should have just been one model, not both. Eeehh, who cares, let them do what they want, they always do and somehow no matter how much we hate them for some of the stupid moves they grow on most of us for most of the cars and we forgive them.

#5 ·
I think it will work out fine for them. As fine as others doing it first: I like BMW's approach -- let others take the risk and determine whether there is a niche market for a new type of vehicle. Now that there is evidence that people will fork out the cash for super SUV's and things like the R8, BMW can just come in with their version.

It doesn't affect me in any way. It is not like I am in the market for anything even remotely like the vehicles in question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.