BMW Werkz banner

Possible BMW X5M, X6M Prototypes Spotted In Spartanburg

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  j_rossdale 
#1 ·

Some are suggesting that the BMW X5 and X6 prototypes you see here will wear the sacred "M" badge when they reach production. The rules used to state that all BMW "M" cars must be naturally aspirated and rear-wheel-drive. But with rumors of turbochargers being bolted to future M-models, and now the prospect of these soft-roaders, presumably with power being sent to all four wheels, it looks like the rules laid down by the founding fathers are being shredded a-la the US constitution. But are we really seeing what we think we're seeing here?

Much as we still have faith in democracy, we're also skeptical as to whether or not these particular vehicles are M-prototypes -- or if M-badged trucks are coming at all. For instance, you'd think that they'd fit an M-model with bigger wheels, and maybe even remove the roof rack, but then they are just prototypes. All enthusiasts should hope these are just sport editions -- if they are full-blown M-models, there really is nothing sacred left.

Source: Jalopnik

Gallery: X6M Perhaps; X5M Perhaps

See less See more
#4 ·
the "M" issue

yeah. Having an "M" BMW is not something special anymore. I have a 89' e30 325is with m-tech and I almost feel like taking the m emblem off just because is not a true m3. My car looks just like the m3 of that year except for the fenders and, of course, the engine. So, I only have the "m" emblem on the left of the trunk and the 325is on the right. Now a days, looks like no matter what bmw model comes out, it's sure followed by the "M" version. M3, M5, M6, possible X5M, X6M. In other words, The "M" models are becoming more common and less unique.

Pretty soon we'll have a re-issued 850i, or M8 or the new M1.
WTF!!!!! where does it stop?

#6 ·
I think that BMW is competing with the Cayenne without having a M version--simply by having the twin turbo 4.4 in the X6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.