Possible BMW X5M, X6M Prototypes Spotted In Spartanburg - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
administrator will become famous soon enough administrator will become famous soon enough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Possible BMW X5M, X6M Prototypes Spotted In Spartanburg

Some are suggesting that the BMW X5 and X6 prototypes you see here will wear the sacred "M" badge when they reach production. The rules used to state that all BMW "M" cars must be naturally aspirated and rear-wheel-drive. But with rumors of turbochargers being bolted to future M-models, and now the prospect of these soft-roaders, presumably with power being sent to all four wheels, it looks like the rules laid down by the founding fathers are being shredded a-la the US constitution. But are we really seeing what we think we're seeing here?

Much as we still have faith in democracy, we're also skeptical as to whether or not these particular vehicles are M-prototypes -- or if M-badged trucks are coming at all. For instance, you'd think that they'd fit an M-model with bigger wheels, and maybe even remove the roof rack, but then they are just prototypes. All enthusiasts should hope these are just sport editions -- if they are full-blown M-models, there really is nothing sacred left.

Source: Jalopnik

Gallery: X6M Perhaps; X5M Perhaps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Hmm. I'm not sure about an ///M X6 or X5

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
I heard rumors about that as well. In one article I saw a claim that the 6 Liter V-12 from the 760i might be used although I'm thinking it's more likely that a direct injection twin turbo V-8 is going to be the choice.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 09:52 AM
n00b

desertfx is on a distinguished road
the "M" issue

yeah. Having an "M" BMW is not something special anymore. I have a 89' e30 325is with m-tech and I almost feel like taking the m emblem off just because is not a true m3. My car looks just like the m3 of that year except for the fenders and, of course, the engine. So, I only have the "m" emblem on the left of the trunk and the 325is on the right. Now a days, looks like no matter what bmw model comes out, it's sure followed by the "M" version. M3, M5, M6, possible X5M, X6M. In other words, The "M" models are becoming more common and less unique.

Pretty soon we'll have a re-issued 850i, or M8 or the new M1.
WTF!!!!! where does it stop?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
That's a good point desertfx. I personally think having M X series vehicles is a poor choice. IMO BMW does not need to compete with the Cayenne or the Mercedes AMG SUV's either. I'd rather see BMW M stick to it's route and just stay with the M3, M5, M6 and of course the Z4M's.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I think that BMW is competing with the Cayenne without having a M version--simply by having the twin turbo 4.4 in the X6.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Yeah, that is true Teh Prof. I'm just worried by BMW throwing an M badge on every car they make is going to cheapen the image of ///M. Just my $.02.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM
n00b

j_rossdale is on a distinguished road
i love how it looks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > BMW News