BMW Werkz banner

Next BMW M5 will nix V10 in favor of twin-turbo V8

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bimmerguy82 
#1 ·

BMW may begin straying from its long held tradition of equipping its M models with rev-happy, naturally aspirated engines. According to a source speaking with Automotive News, the twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 currently equipped on the new X6, could be stroked out to 4.8-liters and fitted on future Ms, including the new M5, due out in 2011. The twin-turbo'd 3.0-liter inline six found in the 335i, 535i and entry-level X6 proved that BMW has the chops to create highly efficient and eminently entertaining blown mills, and there's no doubt that significant tweaks to the turbocharged V8 could boost power levels over the stock mill's claimed 407 hp, to take take serious aim at Audi's 572 hp RS6.

Source: AutoBlog

See less See more
#3 ·
My shop owner was telling me a few weeks ago that he planned to pick up the current V-10 and twin turbo it...MAD POWER I SAY!!

Of course, you could try and put that into a Miatta, then you REALLY have a fast car (of course it would shatter the chassis and you'd likely only fit like 5 cylinders, but you get the idea...

Kyle you are an unmitigated E30 lover indeed. And I must add, I STILL get thoughts over that fab MOMO wheel teh wife bought ye pirate for thy birfday! FTW! JUST and AWESOME upgrade and gift - you lucky dog...ARRRGH! :argh:bravo

#6 ·
From the current trend I see, I think it's safe to say Bmw is leaving the N/A market and making everything F/I. And really as sad as it is, what do you expect. You can't keep making more Hp with a NA motor unless you want to drive a 10L V-12. F/I is the way of the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.