General Chaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
(Thread Starter)
New ///M3 n00bsafe?

If BMW makes the M3 any easier to drive fast it's going to negate the need for actual driver training (or skill) in the world. Yesterday I drove the new 2008 BMW M3 at Laguna Seca and it is not only stupid fast and stupid fun, but stupid easy for stupid drivers who don't want to look stupid.

Full story @ Karl on Cars - 2008 BMW M3: Hero Car for Non-Hero Drivers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
That is how I felt when I drove the 335i. Like a freakin' rockstar.
True story.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
My friend the Bimmer dealer was down at the local port today as they unloaded the first batch of these babies. He said some impressive things....All this continues to give me "the feelings..."

MWAAH-HA-HA-HA....!!!

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 AM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterMadness
....All this continues to give me "the feelings..."

MWAAH-HA-HA-HA....!!!

...you're kind of freakin' me out, RM

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
If I can hold it all together with lipstick and chewing gum just long enough...I may just casually drive by CALGARY after dinner...

Insert next maniacal laugh here...

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 AM
5th Gear Member

e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
i was just at laguna seca two days ago.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:32 AM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterMadness
If I can hold it all together with lipstick and chewing gum just long enough...I may just casually drive by CALGARY after dinner...

Insert next maniacal laugh here...
Oddly enough, this work trip came up...yeah...to, um...Siberia. Yeah, that's it... I leave this afternoon...

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I am sooooooooooooo glad I didn't get that oil field services/technology job...

#9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
I am sooooooooooooo glad I didn't get that oil field services/technology job...
Why?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

So I was at a big dealership earlier in teh week checkin out teh new ///M3's. Saleman tells me there is one about to be picked up in the pickup bay, plates on, shined up and ready for delivery...It's Jerez Black, Fox leather seats, carbon fiber trim, Tecnology package with ///MDrive, navigator, DVD player, premium wheelz, premium package, auto rear window cover - TEH WERKZ!

I see a nice 45ish year old couple standong next to it as I get closer. I make idle conversation with them about how nice it is etc., when out comes the new owner form teh driver's seat...Care to GUESS....scroll down..........

AN EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD BOY!!! - that's right, this easily $100K - that's ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS - car is for this wide eyed kid. I beganb to ask the parents if they'd heard the M5 storyt from Florida. They nodded politely along and clearly had no idea what I was getting at nor had they ever heard this story. SO - the sale being done and not wanting to jinx their beloved boy or anything, I stopped talking, congratulated them and told them what a lovely car it was. Ten minutes later, I saw and heard it screaming down the street in front of the dealer...

I give him a MONTH - TOPS - before he wrecks it...

RATS! S-T-U-P-I-D FREAKIN PEOPLE!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last edited by RoadsterMadness; 03-14-2008 at 03:01 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
Why?
What triggered me to post what I did is that I am not a big fan of spending long hours in the tundra.

But, since you asked, here are my top reasons for being grateful I didn't get the oilfield technology job:

1) It was a field engineering position, not an R&D position
2) The work schedules suXored. The intervals varied, but they were something like 7 days on, 2 off, or 14 days on, 5 off, etc. On teh days on, I would have been on call 24/7, with most of teh work taking place between 11 pm and 5 am. This amounts to sometimes working for 30 hours straight and workweeks in the 60 - 80 hour range.
3) Being an electrical engineer, what attracted me to the company was their R&D. In order to get into that type of job, I would have had to pay my dues out in the field for 3 - 5 years, doing stuff that had nothing to do with my field.
4) The work locations were in the middle of nowhere -- desserts, tundra, or other really hot, really cold, or really isolated (e.g. off-shore platforms in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico) places.
5) The company's expectations don't change once you get off the field -- they still want 60 hour workweeks from their employees.

Instead, I now work for one of the top semiconductor companies in the world. We constantly are named as one of the best places to work by publications such as Fortune, which just last week named us the most admired semiconductor company in the world. I get to work in my field right away, work normal hours, don't need to wear a hard hat, coveralls and steel-toed boots to work, and get to live in the fourth largest metro area in the US. Did I mention the vast number of my coworkers who drive BMWs already? I guess that's gravy. The other day, as I was leaving, I noticed that I was teh head of a row of 4 or 5 BMWs heading out of the front gate. Oh, and I get better pay here too, which may be enticing to some.

I am really happy about the way things turned out. I hope Ryan has fun in Siberia.

Oh, yeah. Nice ///M3. I hope teh n00bs enjoy paying $20k over sticker for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > BMW News