BMW Werkz banner

Future BMW 1-Series and 3-Series to Get Turbocharged 3-Cylinder and 4-Cylinder Engine

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  AlpineSixAndSeven 
#1 ·

BMW has made it clear that it is working hard to deliver performance as well as fuel economy, doing away with larger displacement motors wherever possible and introducing turbocharged smaller-displacement powerplants that produce as much (or more) power.

While BMW has been able to give impressive performance to sporty models like the 135 and 335 by using the twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six, the entry-level 1- and 3-Series models do with naturally aspirated motors.

BMW is rumored to be changing this with a new line of turbocharged 1.35-liter 3-cylinder and turbocharged 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engines, as an integral part of the Efficient Dynamics initiative. The new engines would also be used in the rumored Z2 sportscar.

Three different versions of the turbo-three would be offered with 163, 201 and 241 horsepower, respectively. As for the turbo-fours, there would be just two with either 273hp or 321hp.

As is often the case, many of these new engines would not be available in North American models. However, some of the larger versions would.

There is no word on how much fuel economy would be improved.

Here's a full list of the specs for each model:

x16i – 1.35-litre, 3-cylinder, 163bhp/140 lb-ft
x18i – 1.35-litre, 3-cylinder, 201bhp/162 lb-ft
x20i – 1.35-litre, 3-cylinder, 241bhp/192 lb-ft
x23i – 1.8-litre, 4-cylinder, 273bhp/220 lb-ft
x25i – 1.8-litre, 4-cylinder, 321bhp/258 lb-ft

More: Future BMW 1-Series and 3-Series to Get Turbocharged 3-Cylinder and 4-Cylinder Engines on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#4 ·
Those are not bad numbers at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.