BMW Werkz banner

Frankfurt 2009: BMW 5 Series GT Official World Premiere

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Admin 
#1 ·

While BMW had plenty of items on display at the Frankfurt Auto Show, just two were official new model premieres. The first was the X1 crossover and the second was the the 5 Series Gran Turismo (GT). BMW has shown a near-complete version of the car several times, but waited for Frankfurt to give full details.

Looking by all accounts identical to the concept, BMW claims it is the first in this new segment - which is true, because BMW beat Audi and its new S5 Sportback, to the punch by just a few hours.

BMW says the 5 Series GT combines the best of a classic Grand Tourer with a modern day Sport Activity Vehicle. With four seats, the interior is spacious with headroom equal to an X5 and legroom equal to a 7 Series. Rear seat space is particularly plentiful thanks to rear seats that more fore and aft by 4-inches.

Cargo room is equally large thanks to the GT’s two-mode trunk layout. Trunk space is 15.4 cubic feet, which can be expanded to 20.7 cubic feet b moving the rear seats forward and by removing the hatch divider. There is even the option to flip down the rear seats for a total of 59.5 cubic feet.

The 5 Series GT will be available in three different models: the 535i, 530d and 550i. The 535i model uses BMW’s twin-turbocharged inline-six to produce 306hp and 295 ft-lbs of torque, allowing it to hit 62 mph in 6.3 seconds.

More: Frankfurt 2009: BMW 5 Series GT Official World Premiere on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.