BMW Werkz banner

BMW’s Ultimate Driving Machines Will Eventually go Electric

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  AutoGuide.com 
#1 ·

Whether you like it or not, the future of all BMW models is electrification.

It’s just a matter of time before even M models become fully electric says the performance sub-brand’s boss, Frank Van Meel. Speaking to Auto Express, Van Meel revealed the M Division will first work on developing hybrid powertrains for the lineup, but rather than using them to boost fuel efficiency, the system will prioritize performance. The performance arm is still dealing with issues of weight: 'Currently we still have a power to weight issue with electrification which makes that difficult to fit into a motorsports philosophy,' he said.

He did admit that at the end it will be pure electric, even for the M models. But it will take some time, which might be considered good news for the hardcore M enthusiasts that aren’t quite ready to give up their gasoline engines. 'Of course we are in close contact with the Project i group looking into next generation of cell technologies, electric motors, weight and cooling systems to figure when is the right time to make the next step.'

And if you’re wondering if any of the BMW i sub-brand models will ever get M variants, Van Meel offered an answer. 'That wouldn’t make sense. It’s two different directions. M is about uncompromised motorsport, whereas Project i looks into the future and is uncompromised efficiency.'
Read more about the BMW’s Ultimate Driving Machines Will Eventually go Electric at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.