BMW M5 Record Setting 7:55 Nurburgring Lap Time Now Slightly More Official - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
AutoGuide.com has a little shameless behaviour in the past
(Thread Starter)
BMW M5 Record Setting 7:55 Nurburgring Lap Time Now Slightly More Official

Reports of the BMW M5′s record-setting Nurburgring lap time are just starting to circulate now, well after we first covered the story last week. The source for the 7:55 run didn't come from BMW, however, nor did it come from testing done by the automotive media, but from a website FastestLaps.com, raising some doubt as to its validity. Further calling into question the legitimacy of the number is the fact that it ever so conveniently tops the Porsche Panamera Turbo by one second.

We contacted FastestLaps.com and Krisjanis Zelch, a representative for the site, told us that he has, "no reason to question its legitimacy." According to their source the time was mentioned by F10 M5 project leader Albert Biermannn during the debut of the car over the weekend at the Nurburgring.

Cautioning that he didn't hear the news himself, Zelch did say that it came from a trusted source. "Judging from past experience, I am absolutely certain that this laptime is genuine (as genuine as lap time claims by factories can be) and in future I expect even faster laptimes resulting from independent tests."

When contacted, BMW PR representative Dave Buchko neither confirmed or denied the time, stating that it, "is not an official time, so I'm afraid I'm not in a position to provide confirmation." There's no telling on if or when BMW plans to make an official timed run.

More: BMW M5 Record Setting 7:55 Nurburgring Lap Time Now Slightly More Official on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > BMW News