BMW M5 Ends Production as Best Selling, Least Loved, Version Yet - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AutoGuide.com has a little shameless behaviour in the past
(Thread Starter)
BMW M5 Ends Production as Best Selling, Least Loved, Version Yet

Easily the first BMW M car that wasn't universally loved, as of today the current M5 has become the old M5, with production of the V10-powered monster selling 20,548 worldwide. That number includes 1,025 Touring (wagon) models sold in Europe. As the most successful M5 yet, the U.S. market played a huge role in its success with 8,800 M5s sold over six years, compared to just 1,647 units in the car's second largest market, Germany.

The M5 gained fame for its high-revving but torqueless and gas-hungry 500+ horsepower V10 engine, 7-speed sequential transmission, launch control, excessively complex electronics and an M button that brought power from just 400-hp to its full 500+ potential.

And yet for all the car's successes, BMW will move in a distinctly different direction with the next M5 rather than build on what the current model offers – an indication of its inherent weaknesses. The next M5 will do away with a low torque V10 in favor of a more efficient and more powerful twin-turbo V8 engine. It will also dump the sequential transmission for a dual-clutch unit. And based on the current 5 Series it will also seek to move past a much derided Chris Bangle design era.

More: BMW M5 Ends Production as Best Selling, Least Loved, Version Yet on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Even with the controversial Bangle design I always loved the E60 M5...it's just a legendary car and it will be remembered.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
^ +1

#4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Am i the only person that likes the e60 ///m?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know if you noticed, but counting you, three people have already replied to this thread saying they like it.

#6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I like the car a lot, but I guess there's plenty to be said about the better efficiency of a turbo V8.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
I mis read what Mr.Clean write i thought he ment he liked the car accept the design/looks

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 AM
drz
Administrator

#9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
^_^

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
Funny stuff here.

But on topic, I think the M5 looked a lot better than the standard E60s. I am partial to E34s and E39s though, so the E60 was never up to those standards in my mind. The F10 is quickly growing on me, I absolutely love it right now and I can't wait to see the M5 next year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > BMW News