Okay, I got a big complaint about www.BimmerWerkz.com - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmerwerkz.com Site Help A place for members to post site issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:32 AM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb Okay, I got a big complaint about www.BimmerWerkz.com

I love all you guys & gals and will probably get banned for saying this, but we seriously need to fire the website's designer!

Since I've had some free time to check out other BMW websites that cater to my E46. I've come to realize that our website's front page suck!

The web page that comes up when you type in "www.bimmerwerkz.com" is not only swamped in Ad Banners and tricky Ad linkages but the links that actually get you into the forums are the smallest font size on the mainpage and are convoluted.

I'm not sure of the stats today, but 5 years ago when I googled for help to remove the worn out armrest on my E36 this website not only came up first, but with one quick click of the mouse I was transported into the E36 Forums here and into a whirlwind of useful information, great help and lots of colorful personalities that made me want to stick around.

On that note, I wonder what experience someone who just recently bought a BMW and is googling for help will get if they are directed to Werkz.

We need to revamp the front page. I understand Ad Banners pay the bills and are an important part of any website but we need to make the fonts size links for the actual forum bigger, more welcoming and more central to the main front page.

For example; why are they two similarly worded links for BMW Forum Home; that takes you absolutely NOWHERE, but another page filled with outdated arcticles and more ads! and the BMW Forum link which actually brings you into the real forum pages but this important link is bunched up and sort of hidden beneath that useless BMW Forum Home link? And the new members' registration link in hidden beneath those links in an even smaller font!

Also listing a nice large size grid showing links to the individual forum rooms on bottom of the main page may make our website more inviting and less mickey mouse!

EDIT: I just realized some of those ads on the front page aren't even BMW related! WTF!?

Last edited by Delmarco; 01-27-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ .... wait what i'm actually going to agree with del....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
i second that del boy,the site sucks.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 AM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
i agree... but its just part of the site... i dont let it rub me the wrong way.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear Member

BigT's93 is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately you are correct that the ads pay the bills. I hooked my son up w/ a Jeep forum and it is the same old shiznit. Just take a deep breath, hold it, exhale and pass. Oh wait that's something totally different.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
I also think one could improve the front page

#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM
n00b

wayoutcat is on a distinguished road
Dang. You're right. That front page is confusing.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
You dawg, I heard you like pages, so we put a page in your page so you can read while you read.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
does this mean we're going back to bmw-forums.com?

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
lol

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Let's make this the fourth post in a row from an administrator that offers no help on the issue.

#12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
i dont think it deserves much response....is del going to pay to run the site?

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I'll forward the link to the people who own the site (and many others). We use off the shelf software to run the forum, so who knows how much can be done without disrupting whatever cost structure the people who run things have stipulated.

Thanks for the input.

Thread moved to Site Talk

Edit: Oh, and we still get pretty good (a lot of the time still at the top) Google placement, despite the na change in the site and the unfortunate deletion of many DIYs that went down over the last couple of years.

#14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
IMO: The banners are none more obtrusive than on most other sites. The content tends to show the broad and open exposure this site has become connected to. I see nothing to complain about, I have thought about this thread most if the day.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
I find this site to be LBF (Lazy Bastard Friendly), I come in and click on new posts which is on the top. No need to scroll or anything. If the site changes and I need to start scrolling to find stuff, I demand Del pays me for the extra effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > Site > Bimmerwerkz.com Site Help