In what ways are BMWs of old better than today - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hownnq is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
In what ways are BMWs of old better than today

In a recent conversation with a friend, we started discussing how, despite the notable technological improvements, BMW may have lost some of its ethos of being the ultimate driving machine in the past decade or so. My friend took the position that the E30 and E34 era cars had a lot more soul to them. They were better engineered, sturdier and more driver-oriented vehicles than what is produced today.

I countered with the point that BMW cannot be faulted for equipping its cars with technology and relying upon the latest cutting edge design techniques to build its vehicles. Yes, they may be more complicated but the technology adds real benefits to the driving experience.

I'm just curious to hear where other BMW owners fall on the continuum of past vs. present cars. If they think one era was better than today or vice-versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Personally. I think it's more relative; older Bimmers were so much better than nearly all other cars of the same time. Now the whole field is so much more similar...

BMW

Sig by zeaq

Last edited by witeshark; 10-10-2011 at 11:04 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
IMHO, I think the older BMW's are much better CARS as they don't have to rely on technology which makes them a better driving experience...
Men like "Gadgets" but in the car, we like to feel !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I agree with witeshark. As the entire field has been playing catch-up, BMWs don't stand out as much as they used to. People also have this idea that sturdier means better. Many of the material choices made nowadays are based on low weight and safety.

Lastly, I think that BMW keeps improving their cars. The thing is, most of their sales are for the general public that perhaps doesn't appreciate the sportier ride. I think if you take the sport package version of each generation, you can easily see the improvements through the years.

#5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
They're not better. They're simpler and more mechanical in the past, which makes them easier to understand for enthusiasts.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///m power View Post
they're not better. They're simpler and more mechanical in the past, which makes them easier to understand for enthusiasts.
+1

#7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 PM
n00b

Steam is on a distinguished road
As every one know that old is gold that is the best way to express old BMW's as compare to new one.
Old BMW's are have their great features with nice quality.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM
n00b

Turbohugh is on a distinguished road
Garage
Define better? .
#9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 AM
n00b

rajendersingh90 is on a distinguished road
mileage
stereos
tubeless tyres
modern foglights
#10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
n00b

rclark is on a distinguished road
Hard to say. As others have mentioned, the older models are easier to repair and reassemble on your own because they lacked the multitude of high-tech gadgets inside that we see today. Conversely, today's models are often safer (from a collision point-of-view) and boast a lot of technological features that simply weren't possible 10, 20 years ago. It's a trade-off that every car company has made.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 AM
n00b

benjamindean is on a distinguished road
BMW is an excellent driving machine, as it’s based on a classic rear-wheel drive platform with accent on handling and performance. If you are familiar with BMW products from the past, you can attest that today’s BMW’s haven’t changed much in terms of basic design and style compared to the Bimmers from 80′s and 90′s and why should they? Even then it was a great car to drive. BMW didn’t have to invent the wheel, but rather build on what was working before adding new models and features, which is a clear formula for success.
#12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:24 AM
n00b

mikemellowz is on a distinguished road
It's hard to decide between the two. But I think Today's BMW's are much better in terms of suspensions and engines compared with those of 10 years ago. It is true that they are easier to repair but today these cars are coming with new technologies and gadgets and those are really very awesome.
#13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:32 AM
n00b

mattdavis is on a distinguished road
I agree that New BMW comes with the new and advance technology and features like it has the more suspension power but I personally like the oil one. Whenever I drive this I'm amazed at how alive it feels and Old cars have the tendency to be good for what you can do to them.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 AM
n00b

fortion is on a distinguished road
older vehicles oozed class in the only aspect that mattered back then and that was the drive....nowadays its all about looks,mileages and then the drive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk