unintended acceleration - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
cjennings is on a distinguished road
unintended acceleration

Last Saturday, 7 September 2013 I slowly drove up to a parking place at the Sullivan's Island, SC Post Office. Without reason my 328i Sports wagon accelerated at a high rate of speed causing it to go over a 10inch sidewalk and into a low area beside the Post Office. I hit a Post Office sign and brushed against the brick Post Office building. While there was no damage to the building and the sign, there was considerable damage to my vehicle. The estimate so far is a little over $ 7,300.00,and I am now waiting on the mechanical report.
Until reading about others who have had the same experience I tried to think through what happed and what I may have done wrong, but nothing made sense.
Thank goodness no one was injured and the only damage was to my vehicle. Had I pulled up to the front of the building it could have been a disaster.
I have enjoyed owning and driving my 328i, but I can no longer be assured that this will not happen again without some resolution as to why this occurred.
cjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

I am glad to hear you are okay. What year is your 328i?

The throttle is controlled through a cable connected to your gas pedal. That wire then runs through the firewall to your throttle body. If for what ever reason the cable stuck open or the throttle body return spring slipped out of place the car would have thought it was the same as you pinning the gas. On my E36 the cruise control is controlled electroniclly but has a mechanical cable attached to the throttle body as well. Something could have happened causing the car to think you activated your cruise control or something similiar.

This is not unique to BMW by any means. Toyota recalled 40 million vehicles because of issues similiar to this.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
It has been over six weeks since our 2007 328i accelerated on its own to cause considerable damage to the vehicle. BMW Corporate sent someone down to Charleston to evaluate the situation, and BMW says the problem is not the fault of the vehicle, but for some reason to date has not sent us a letter stating this. In the meantime I still believe the fault is with the 328i. The negative result of all of this is six weeks without the vehicle, probable higher insurance rates, loss of resale value, and the distrust of ever driving it again.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
darwinwhite15 is on a distinguished road
This is a nice info and well presented too..

===========
Check This Link
darwinwhite15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
lcoto is on a distinguished road
I understand your frustration completely. On September 29th I drove my 2010 535GT into my parking structure at work and when I applied the brake, the brake didn’t engage and my car hit the wall. This was a freaky sensation not feeling the peddle engage, however, when BMW had it towed, the brakes did engage. They told me that BMW North America would have to do an inspection, and yesterday they basically told me the same thing, that they couldn’t find anything wrong from their inspection. So I am in the same predicament. I’m afraid to drive the car because I know the brake didn’t engage. They gave me the suggestion that I could sell the car, but unlike BMW North America, I care about the safety of others and would not want to sell a defected car on my conscious. Between my husband and I, we’ve owned ten BMW’s and have been loyal to the brand. I can’t say enough on how disappointed I am that they won’t consider that something can be wrong even if their “inspections” don’t show it. If I drove it off today and it happened again, what is my life worth to BMW?
lcoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoto View Post
I can’t say enough on how disappointed I am that they won’t consider that something can be wrong even if their “inspections” don’t show it. If I drove it off today and it happened again, what is my life worth to BMW?
This isnt unique to BMW, as it has happened with numerous different vehicles.

BMW's reaction also isnt unique. Pretty much all auto manufacturers will respond the same. What happened is fairly uncommon, and unless they can replicate exactly what happened they wont accept liability for it. By them admitting their was an issue without proof that it was a defect their opening them selves up to people wrecking their cars and coming after BMW for new ones. BMW, and all manufacturers are simply protecting themselves. We all know people will see this as a way to upgrade their vehicle at BMW's expensive.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
This isnt unique to BMW, as it has happened with numerous different vehicles.

BMW's reaction also isnt unique. Pretty much all auto manufacturers will respond the same. What happened is fairly uncommon, and unless they can replicate exactly what happened they wont accept liability for it. By them admitting their was an issue without proof that it was a defect their opening them selves up to people wrecking their cars and coming after BMW for new ones. BMW, and all manufacturers are simply protecting themselves. We all know people will see this as a way to upgrade their vehicle at BMW's expensive.
Yes, I can see how that can happen, however, the brakes did malfunction and now I don't trust the safety of the car. I had planned on keeping this car for several years, I even purchased the extended warranty. Now it will cost me a lot money for this defect since I will not drive this car again and have to purchase another one. I've owned 4 BMW's and this will be my last. Maybe I'll have it looked at by someone else and get a second opinion.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mollyknight is on a distinguished road
Consumer Reports’ unintended acceleration guide will help you navigate through the news on the Toyota pedal and floor mat recalls and issues with sudden unintended ... Full Story Here consumerreports.org/cro/cars/Unintended_acceleration/index.htm

Is It Helpful To You???
Old 11-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoto View Post
Yes, I can see how that can happen, however, the brakes did malfunction and now I don't trust the safety of the car. I had planned on keeping this car for several years, I even purchased the extended warranty. Now it will cost me a lot money for this defect since I will not drive this car again and have to purchase another one. I've owned 4 BMW's and this will be my last. Maybe I'll have it looked at by someone else and get a second opinion.
Well then dont buy a Toyota then, because they recalled 40 million vehicles for the same issue.

BMW has never issued a recall for this as its not a widely reported issue.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Well then dont buy a Toyota then, because they recalled 40 million vehicles for the same issue.

BMW has never issued a recall for this as its not a widely reported issue.
BMW did have a recall in 2010 for brake issues, and I believe they just recently had another one that came out the end of September.
Thanks for the tip. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
We no longer own this vehicle, and while I enjoyed it very much my wife refused to ever drive or ride in it again, too bad it did not have a "black Box", and BMW reuses to acknowledge a problem. So we sold it a loss since we felt morally obligated to disclose the incident to the buyer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk