Be Thankful For Your Bmw - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
(Thread Starter)
Okay, today, was sort of an iffy day for me. Cuz i didnt realize what had happened till about anhour ago when i really started to think about it. i dont want to get all mushy and whatnot, but i think this could be a good reminder to definetly be thankful for your car, and your life. This is all true, and yeah, here it is:

I was doing a Decker run with my friend(he was driving behind me), now, in the first section of Decker, i can take at about 90mph completely maxed out with good tires and weather, something i would never do with a passenger or during the day(night is best for this, especially if you know the road, you can see if anyone is coming with their lights)

anyways.. So i go through the first 3 turns at about 75, approaching max speed( i only planned to do about 80), so i reach 80 with full concentration, and i usually have my foot all the way to the floor in 3rd gear(i know i need to be in 4th to do 90, in this case, iw as at 6200rpms at 80mph), so im coming around 4th turn(right hander) and im exiting, with the back tires spinning faster then the ground(aka, my back end is loose, but under control, and i am oversteering through the turn(partial drift, not show, a speed drift(for those that have scene 'drift bible')), so im coming around the turn and the back end about 1 foot to the left of where it should be, when suddenly, some asses coming in my direction are 3 feet into my lane cutting mine off cuz they are lazy and cant stay in their lane.

So without panicking, i turned the wheel a little more Left(i know its right turn, for some of you noobs to driving, you turn left to drag the back to the right), so i went to even it out fine and everything was going as planned when i noticed i was little more to the right then normal(due to the movement of my car cuz of oncoming traffic), so when the back end came as far right as it needed to(after turning to the right again(while back is to the right) to bring and move the car striaght and over a bit), when the back suddenly hit the dirt on the right hitting some decent 1/2 fist sized rocks and then my back end got really squirly and if not paid attention to, would have caused a major disaster, luckily i saved it.

Everything worked out fine, and i still ended up driving the rest of the canyon really fast and a little more drift like(tires are getting more worn down, so its easier to sort of fish tail/drift the corners).

Lesson here is, take a second or 60 and think to yourself how lucky you are to be driving a BMW, and to not be in the hospital right now because of some idiot that isnt doing what they should.

I know racing and drive quadrouple or more the speed limit isnt safe, but i know my limits what doing everything in my own lane(no excuse for speeding, but its my choice). I didnt realize what had really really really almost and what had happened until about an hour ago, when i sat down and was thinking about it.

What im saying is, people die daily cuz of other assholes that are drunk or doing dumb shit, including my friends(3 that have died now). Im just saying this because, i realized that i could have potentially died today, and that wouldnt have been good, or possibly swerved too much and caused others to swerve and kill themselves, either way, it could have been potentially a horrible disaster, luckily i didnt panic or doing anything out of the ordinary, i stayed calm and subtle, and did what i needed to.

Im thankful for:
My Family
My Life
My Health
My Friends
My Car

As lame and homo as some of you may think it is, i think its serious.
I thought this part of the forum would be the right place to put it, cuz it had to do with car talk and such.

anways, thats what i had to say. i unno how you people tend you respond to this, but i thought id say it anyways.

-Dan

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
dont lie you need fresh undies

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:05 AM

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
i probably almost would, ha, no. but was quite crazy now that i think of it.

btw, my back end wasnt over the line, it was only slightly out. but enough to obviously feel it, and the rocks on the side were in a pullout lane, not just liek some random rocks, fyi.

L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
its all good i feel you i been there...just be glad you didnt have a chick yelling from the passanger seat

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:23 AM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
yeah exactly i know the feeling of the girlfriend yelling from the passenger seat! wet road 15mph corner to fast gas through it, the rest is known, man after you counter steer its time for the girlfriend to regain her breath and YELL! it sucks! but yeah nice post spiff youll probably catch some shit for it, but i understand ya! we can e-thug the bastards that give ya shit

David
#6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 09:40 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

BMWBeauty416 is a name known to all BMWBeauty416 is a name known to all BMWBeauty416 is a name known to all BMWBeauty416 is a name known to all BMWBeauty416 is a name known to all BMWBeauty416 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to BMWBeauty416 Send a message via MSN to BMWBeauty416 Send a message via Yahoo to BMWBeauty416
sometimes things like that just really make you think.
When I got rearended by that Explorer going 45 no brakes and then smashing into the car infront of me I thought "what if I had been in my eclipse or M3 instead of the rover?" and I would have been in the hospital in who knows what state and what would have happened! It just kinda opens your eyes sometimes to all you have to be thankful for!

~*Teg*~

#7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
good shit. Be glad you know driving physics as well as you do. Racing school saved my life once on Nordhoff (surface street nearby where I live). There's a tight ass turn that I was taking at about 40 (I can take it at 70 in the bimmer but that's neither here nor there) in the saab (FWD understeer hell) when some asshole in a honda coming the other direction TOTALLY loses it and comes spinning at me.

Racing school kicks in, my left foot goes to the brake and I trailbrake into oncoming traffic lanes to avoid the oncoming spinning death car. If I had tried to lift or brake, the car would have spun, because I was fully maxed out in that turn. Thank god for racing school.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 02:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
This is another reason why lots of forums people reccommend a driving or racing school over a new performance car part.

#9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 03:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
I know exactly what you're talking about, that was close. I wasn't so lucky one time. I've driven differently ever since.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that those people shouldn't have been in your lane, but I also know that you shouldn't have been taking turns at 80+ mph with traffic around you.

#11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 02:11 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute

I think that should about sum it up. I think it is funny that experiences like that are called "life affirming". I think it is really more "death affirming". So add that to your thoughts. Glad you are still here to post.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had similar experiences when young and wild. However, over decades of driving experience I've seen so much unexpected, bizzare and just plain stupid stunts by other drivers that I've come to realize that driving on the edge in a BMW or any car is going to eventually lead to unfortunate consequences. The craziest of all was a car parked on the right shoulder of a 6 lane throughway that pulled out and stopped broadside in the middle lane (which I was in doing 80) Only luck and racing experience got me to drift around him only to see him start up and go the wrong way in the passing lane where he got nailed by an 18 wheeler. Served him right, but if I'd hit him, it would not have been much consolation when all messed up in a hospital to know that it wasn't my fault.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 10:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Heres a good driving school story, wher eit helped my dad.

My dad was driving at 70mph on the freeway with my mom in the car, he was in 318i sedan 5spd(i was just a kid, but at home), and he was driving in fast lane, and a truck coming the other way hit the guardrail and the boat he was towing flew over the divider, my dad, before my mom could even make a gasp, downshifting, floored it around the situation(first car closest to situation), and made it away safely, though about 15 cars behind him got in an accident.

Another reason why waiting for that chip and intake to come in, andputting that money into a driving class can help save your 20k+ car.

I think 400$ driving school is more valuable then 5k$ parts. IMO.

#14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally posted by spiff325is@Nov 15 2004, 09:58 PM
Heres a good driving school story, wher eit helped my dad.

My dad was driving at 70mph on the freeway with my mom in the car, he was in 318i sedan 5spd(i was just a kid, but at home), and he was driving in fast lane, and a truck coming the other way hit the guardrail and the boat he was towing flew over the divider, my dad, before my mom could even make a gasp, downshifting, floored it around the situation(first car closest to situation), and made it away safely, though about 15 cars behind him got in an accident.

Another reason why waiting for that chip and intake to come in, andputting that money into a driving class can help save your 20k+ car.

I think 400$ driving school is more valuable then 5k$ parts. IMO.
[snapback]231629[/snapback]
that's why i wanted to go to the bmw driving school this past summer, but my dad was so rude, and decided to go visit my uncle in germany, IN GERMANY mind you, lol, but yeah, i want to go to some driving schools, so i can become a good driver

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
hahah got a story to add from the other day... actually a few.

first i almost had a f350 plow into me. i saw him coming when i was stopped preparing to make a left. the road was wet and i thought i could make it. i hit the gas and ended up sitting in the middle of the road wheels spinning. by the time i let off and grabbed some traction he was like 3 ft away.

other story same day 2 minutes earler. i am going home from school in a hurry so i can play with my buddy that has a 5 sp civic and who is already a mile down the road . i aproach railroad tracks with this one girl in front of me. there is no ramp there and only the lights go off. she stops when she could have clearly made it across. i stop and by the time i figure out wtf is going on the train is blaring right around the corner. so i go around her and as soon as i get off on the other side it comes across. i was like fast and furious mofos lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk