BMW Werkz banner

Test drove a Cooper S today

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  AZ325Ci 
#1 ·
i went to go test drive one, a S, the salesman was really young, i checked out his car first, he has an S with cool options on it, the one i test drove had a MSRP of 26k or so with basically everything except nav system. the sunroof is amazing ,makes the car feel a lot roomier inside, but i had plenty of room all around. it didn't have much power under 3k rpm since max torque of 155lb is at 5500rpm, the supercharger sounds really cool when you rev it high. i drove it in the nice part of the area in wooded areas, windy roads, i took this one right turn at 35 in 2nd gear, and that thing didn't slide at all, felt like a go cart (which the car is). so the handling was awesome, ride wasn't too stiff either, i expected a harsher ride. the gearing is very odd, it was made so it revs high in every gear, but the engine is really quiet so it was pretty nice. i got it up to 65 or so, 0 to 60 time is pretty impressive. the salesman was like "if you're looking for performance, push it harder. so i did. the clutch was so light and very smooth. all in all, good fun. B)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
i rented a CooperS on road trip going through las vegas and got to drive it most of the time :w00t . the clutch was really light, but easy, i wasnt impressed with the power tho. i took it to 6000rpm a few times but it felt weaker than my car which suprised me. i didnt push it that hard because the OBC said it was 1300miles over due for an oil change. ;) when approaching hoover dam there these awesome twisties on high cliffs with beautiful scenery. the extremely high elevation scared the crap outta me tho so i didnt test the cars limits, plus for the fact that a bright blue mini cooper is cop bait, although i did drive faster than i shouldve been which was fun.

the ride was much stiffer than my 325is but still very comfortable, i had to sit in the backseat a few times, which wasnt fun at all and i'm only around 5'7".
they are very fun cars that draw a lot of attention too

G
#7 ·
they're making one as a convertible actaully, donut, the ride gets harsh when you get the 17"s, even then the MSRP with EVERYTHING except nav is like $25,100......awsome cars, that might be the S4 replacement right there, expect id get the 200hp version (john cooper works tuning version).....

#9 ·
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW@May 31 2003, 05:16 AM
they're making one as a convertible actaully, donut, the ride gets harsh when you get the 17"s, even then the MSRP with EVERYTHING except nav is like $25,100......awsome cars, that might be the S4 replacement right there, expect id get the 200hp version (john cooper works tuning version).....
hey speedster i remember recommending u get the Mini on a bmwplanet poll before u got the S4 :D :thumbs

G
#10 ·
Originally posted by MrM3+May 31 2003, 10:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrM3 @ May 31 2003, 10:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--SpeedsterBMW@May 31 2003, 05:16 AM
hey speedster i remember recommending u get the Mini on a bmwplanet poll before u got the S4 :D :thumbs [/b][/quote]
really? it was borf that talked me into the S4, and im sorta glad he did, its a great car, turbo, AWD, lotsa space, total opposite of the ///M, but im looking for something a little cheaper, more fun, something to toss around as a daily driver....

#11 ·
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW+May 31 2003, 09:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SpeedsterBMW @ May 31 2003, 09:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -MrM3@May 31 2003, 10:20 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--SpeedsterBMW
@May 31 2003, 05:16 AM

hey speedster i remember recommending u get the Mini on a bmwplanet poll before u got the S4 :D :thumbs
really? it was borf that talked me into the S4, and im sorta glad he did, its a great car, turbo, AWD, lotsa space, total opposite of the ///M, but im looking for something a little cheaper, more fun, something to toss around as a daily driver.... [/b][/quote]
in that case a mini S would be perfect for you now, maybe even the cabrio.http://www.bmwworld.com/models/mini/cabrio.htm

G
#12 ·
Originally posted by MrM3+May 31 2003, 10:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrM3 @ May 31 2003, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -SpeedsterBMW@May 31 2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by -MrM3@May 31 2003, 10:20 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--SpeedsterBMW
@May 31 2003, 05:16 AM

really? it was borf that talked me into the S4, and im sorta glad he did, its a great car, turbo, AWD, lotsa space, total opposite of the ///M, but im looking for something a little cheaper, more fun, something to toss around as a daily driver....
in that case a mini S would be perfect for you now, maybe even the cabrio.http://www.bmwworld.com/models/mini/cabrio.htm [/b][/quote]
i already said they were making a cabrio, and bmworld always has good info....no...id want a coupe, and the only convertible id want would be a roadtser, Z4 (or the MZ4 roadtser).....

#14 ·
my dad asked me if i wanted one. if i did, prolly wouldnt be the S though. i see a lot of them around. they look pretty cool to drive. supercharged gokart :D

#18 ·
what cars do you have speedster, i keep gettin confused???!!!??? ;)

G
#19 ·
Originally posted by GreenTape@Jun 3 2003, 10:40 PM
what cars do you have speedster, i keep gettin confused???!!!??? ;)
lol how stupid of a question is that? its only been my sig forever.....

however my younger bros friend has a silver mini cooper s, with the sp, nav, fully loaded...it is BADASS, the thing is so awsome looking....i want that exact car, without the nav....maybe even the john cooper works tuning package (200hp, 0-60 in 6.5)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.