New Owner Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 03:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shaken not stirred is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New Owner Questions

Hello to all.

I have recently aquired a beautiful 2001 525i wagon with low mileage. As a starting point I went Barnes and Noble and purchased every magazine related to BMW. What I read goes against everything I believed true about BMW.

Sadly, what I read is that the car is crap. It is prone to all sorts of problems - from transmission and water pump failure to horrible rust proofing. A huge let down for me being a person always wanting one of these incredible and beautiful machines.

Is this true or just the rambling of a bunch of idiots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

MEDSTUDENT87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MEDSTUDENT87
It all depends on how you take car of the car. If you expect it to drive like a chevy then you will be disappointed. The car will require allot of (preventative) maintinance(spelling?). If you do not take care of the car it will give you lots of problems just make sure you follow the maintinance schedules. They are awesome cars but not many people believe it should take so much to own one, but its worth it.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:52 AM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaken not stirred View Post
Hello to all.

I have recently aquired a beautiful 2001 525i wagon with low mileage. As a starting point I went Barnes and Noble and purchased every magazine related to BMW. What I read goes against everything I believed true about BMW.

Sadly, what I read is that the car is crap. It is prone to all sorts of problems - from transmission and water pump failure to horrible rust proofing. A huge let down for me being a person always wanting one of these incredible and beautiful machines.

Is this true or just the rambling of a bunch of idiots?
Well, being that it is a mechanical machine, it is inclined to have parts wear out or break. This can be reduced greatly with proper care and maintenance.
If you stay on top of it you should have very few issues with your car. The only thing that is close to true about what those magazines said is that the water pump failure happens on almost any bmw, but replace it with a aftermarket metal impellar and you're good to go. i hope this relieves some concerns, Bmw's are great cars to own and drive.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:43 AM
n00b

shaken not stirred is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your replies.

As you said PM is the key.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsanders82 View Post
but replace it with a aftermarket metal impellar and you're good to go.
Until the bearings die in the aftermarket water pump, causing the serpentine belt to snap, the radiator and associated hoses are shredded, and the mechanical fan is snapped!

This happened on my old M3 a few months back...I had put in the metal-impeller water pump two years previous.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk