Need Helping Finding/Choosing a Used BMW - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pappas is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Need Helping Finding/Choosing a Used BMW

Hey everyone. I was hoping to find some assistance in buying a used BMW, and due to my lack of knowledge/experience, I thought I'd ask all of you for your help. I'm looking to spend hopefully no more than $8000, and I'll be using the car mostly just to drive around my city, therefore I won't be putting in many miles. I'll do an occasional 60 mile trip but that would probably be around once or twice a week max. So basically I've been looking on autotempest.com to try to find deals but I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for, therefore I'm coming to you. I live in the Los Angeles area so if you can find or know of any deals or places I should check out, please let me know.

Notes: I'd prefer a sedan in silver or possibly gray or black.

Here's my autotempest search: Link

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Is this possibly a good deal? BMW : 5-Series Base Sedan 4-Door in BMW | eBay Motors

It's local.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

The 5 Series in the Ebay link you posted does look really nice. However with ANY car, you should get it inspected first. You should never buy a car sight unseen.

The E39 (5 Series) is an excellent Sedan. Personally I like the ones with the Sport seats (super comfy IMO). When you look at one you want to make sure the engine is cold when you start it and listen for any odd noises on start up. Get in and play with everything. You want to make sure everything works prior to purchase. Get a history on the service of the vehicle. You want one with a good paper trail so you know it has been maintained properly. It is common for some E39 sedans to lose "pixels" on the dash and On Board Computer. These are easy fixes if your good with a soldering iron.

Any other questions feel free to post.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

The 5 Series in the Ebay link you posted does look really nice. However with ANY car, you should get it inspected first. You should never buy a car sight unseen.

The E39 (5 Series) is an excellent Sedan. Personally I like the ones with the Sport seats (super comfy IMO). When you look at one you want to make sure the engine is cold when you start it and listen for any odd noises on start up. Get in and play with everything. You want to make sure everything works prior to purchase. Get a history on the service of the vehicle. You want one with a good paper trail so you know it has been maintained properly. It is common for some E39 sedans to lose "pixels" on the dash and On Board Computer. These are easy fixes if your good with a soldering iron.

Any other questions feel free to post.
Hey thanks for the advice and help! Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying any car simply after looking at an online advertisement, I was just hoping to get a feel and some advice as to which cars might be worthwhile to actually look at and check out.

So regarding the link to the one on ebay that I posted, would that be a good deal at $7,800? It only has 77,345 miles and according to it's history report it seems to be in good shape. In addition I checked the AutoCheck Vehicle History Report and it says that the car qualifies for "Buyback Protection". I read up on it a little and it said:

"AutoCheck Buyback Protection protects you against major hidden title problems that are proven to exist but are not shown on the AutoCheck Vehicle History Report (subject to the terms and conditions).
If your AutoCheck Vehicle History Report does not show a title brand that should have been shown on the report, then AutoCheck will buy the vehicle back at your purchase price, at a value of up to 110% of the NADAguides.com value."

Does this mean that if there is a hidden problem that wasn't listed i the initial report (there weren't any listed) that I can sell it back for full price?
#5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 AM
n00b

mikemellowz is on a distinguished road
The deal is nice and I also think that you should go for series 5. It is a mid size premium sedan. 5-Series blends a host of powerful gasoline- and diesel-burning engines with a smooth ride and a luxurious interior. I think you enjoy its drive. I also own E39 and it’s a wonderful car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk