Modulo brakes review e36 M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
swalowedhook is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Modulo brakes review e36 M3

A while back I tried to find some opinions on the Modulo brake kit. I found a number of "opinions" which were actually assumptions, mostly negative, from people who had never tried them. Such as-look where they are made-they must be junk etc etc. Then in an obscure corner of the net I found a guy in Europe who was obviously knowledgable who had actually installed them and driven on them for a while. He was able to talk technically at length about his experience. It convinced me to take a chance and I bought them for my e36 M3 which has a turner intake, 24lb injectors, custom ground cams from Elgin and the appropriate tuning to go with these items as well as Dinan bars and Bilsteins. I'm 56 yrs old and have run from Mulholland Dr to the Santa Cruz Mountains for 40 yrs. You will not find a better brake kit for the money. These brakes are fantastic! They got the engineering right. The pedal feel is precise and allows a very light touch which makes driving smoothly at the limit effortless. The pads have a larger swept area than any of the other common big kits which translates into quicker speed reduction which allows braking deeper into the corners. I haven't had time to get onto Infineon yet but I did a 430am downhill run for 5 miles on a mountain road which is very tight with just enough straight line in between corners to build up speed briefly before braking again but not long enough to allow any significant cooling. The brakes were performing consistenly all the way down, no matter how hard I pushed them-not a hint of fade. This taught me that the slotted rotors were able to disipate heat well even though they are not drilled. And not being drilled means the rotor is stronger without dozens of holes which may be a starting place for cracks. I have hated the extra noise that many performance brake setups have. These are as quiet as the stock BMW brakes were! The kit uses a stock Mercedes big sedan pad which doesn't dirty your wheels.I only found one criticism-the fittings on the braided lines supplied with the kit are cheap and I wouldn't use them. The stock brake lines work fine. If you want to see braided lines, then buy the well known ones you like. One more down side is if you use these brakes potential, you WILL wear out tires faster since this kit can demand a higher work load from your tires. With the ASYMETRIC F1 tires I'm using, it feels like the rear end of the car will lift off the ground at the end of a panic stop! Lastly, these are much sexier and more expensive looking than the other kits, and I saved a lot of money making this choice. You won't be sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Modulo brakes review e36 M3-dsc01137.jpg  

Last edited by swalowedhook; 03-23-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: spelling error
swalowedhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk