BMW Werkz banner

Initializing key

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Doogle325 
#1 ·
Ok..one day I went for groceries, locked my car, did my business. When I returned about an hour later...I couldn't unlock my car. Ok..fine..it's probably dead..used manual entry..and drove home thinking that the key needed some juice. Got home..no dice. So I called up the local BMW dealership..told them my problem..said come in and get the system diagnosed. If all else fails, you need a new key. So I scheduled an appointment, told my problem, service man says.."did you get the key initialized?".........Huh?? He said I could do it myself, but it was a little hard to explain over the phone. Would any of you guys happen to know what this means?? Thanks.

#2 ·
Well, I went to the dealer to get it checked out. For those of you that have the same problem I did, here's how to diagnose it...

1) Enter vehicle and shut door, make sure all doors are unlocked
2) Stick key in ignition, turn it to the last position before "start"
3) Count to three
4) Pull key out
5) Hold "unlock" for 3 seconds
6) Press "lock" three times, gently
7) You will hear doors locking
8) Get out, wait a few seconds, and lock vehicle.

Took me about a half-hour to get this mastered. Just to be safe, double check with your local BMW dealer before you do it yourself. :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.